1.2 million Marineland Stealth and Stealth Pro Heaters Recalled

Sistom

I originally received an email from PetSmart regarding the Marineland Stealth Pro heater I purchased this year but now it looks like they are recalling ALL Marineland Stealth Heaters from 2004-2009. I'll post the latest email I received from DFS (Regular Stealth Model) and then the Email I received from PetSmart (Stealth Pro Model).

**********DFS EMAIL**********

April 26, 2011

Dear (Sistom),

We're contacting you with important recall information regarding your Marineland Stealth Heater (25W, 50W, 75W, 100W, 150W, 200W, 250W) purchased between 2004 - 2009. United Pet Proup (UPG) has determined that a wiring problem can cause the aquarium heaters to overheat or break during normal use, resulting in property damage and posing hazards to consumers.

As a valued customer, your safety and satisfaction is our priority. If you are still using one of the Marineland Stealth Heaters in question, please take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

UPG will arrange the return of the recalled model(s) in your possession in exchange for your choice of a free replacement heater (Visi-Therm Deluxe), or full refund. Please contact UPG at (800) 338-4896 between 7:30 am - 5:30 pm EST Monday through Friday to begin the process.

If you'd prefer to arrange your return/refund through Foster & Smith Aquatics, or to discuss trying a Fluval M Submersible Heater as an alternate replacement instead, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-443-1160. Our friendly customer service representatives are always happy to help you, 7 am-10 pm, CST, 7 days a week.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let us help you continue to enjoy your favorite hobby for many years to come!

Sincerely,
Customer Care Team,
Foster and Smith Aquatics
1-800-443-1160
CustomerService@FosterAndSmithAquatics.com

**********PETSMART EMAIL**********

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Sincerely,

Debbie Gonzalez
Vice President, Brand and Customer Marketing

We had one and we pulled it out as soon as we heard about this. We took it to the store with no packaging, covered in coralline algae, and they refunded our money, no questions asked.

How would I "ID" one of these? Considering it could have been in my tank for YEARS...I can't exactly read the label and the box is DEF gone by now lol

How would I "ID" one of these? Considering it could have been in my tank for YEARS...I can't exactly read the label and the box is DEF gone by now lol

Have you tried pulling up a picture online to compare? If I remember correctly the store cleared off the area toward the top of the heater to look for info. Maybe you'd be able to find a model number or name up there.

I'm pretty sure I have the visi therm stealth? Just by looking at pictures. No included in all of this?

Marineland-stealth.jpg

Whatever you do, don't take the visi-therm deluxe as a replacement. Not wanting to deal with shipping my heaters back, I took visi-therm deluxes as replacements. I figured I'd just use them to warm waterchange water and whatnot. They're junk!!! I've had them for maybe three weeks and two of them have already completely died on me. They light up as if they are heating but no heat. They are junk, I repeat 'J' 'U' 'N' 'K', JUNK!!! I emailed them explaining the entire situation and that I received them as replacements and would like to just return them and get the purchase price of the stealths refunded, now they want receipts, for heaters that I bought a good 5 years ago!!!

Bummer. I have a ton of second-hand heaters sitting around. I might start digging and get some new ones out of the deal. jtrasap I saw you're going to Indy for the frag swap?

I am upgrading my tank in less than a month, thought I could hold out, but looks like I better pull my stealth heater out before it's too late. Maye I will pull it, run to Petsmart, exchange and run back home, temp shouldn't drop too much. Hopefully.

Good to know the Visi-Therm are junk...I've never heard anything bad about Jäger heaters so I'll probably go with those unless someone has any other recommendations.

But why is common sense failing me? You would think epoxy/plastic filled heater coils would be way more safe then glass encased coils...Where/how did Marineland go wrong? Twice!?!

The old style Visitherms were actually really reliable. I have one that's over 10 years old and the thermostat is even still accurate. Not the ones they make today though, they are junk. Jager all the way

Picked up a couple of the Jager heaters last week. Hoping Eheim carried over the quality and not just the name. If these are as good as their pumps it should be all good.

I've got a little off name heater in my 29g that I picked up off a scratch and dent table close to 15 years ago. Wish that company was still in business.

Back