1/8'' hairy algae and astrea issues....

dnguyen1

Will work for fish
Hi guys, I got some Astrea snails to help me w/ my hairalgae that had just begun to grow...

I placed them all around the hairy algae but perhaps at this stage the hairy algae has gotten "too long"? Please advise :)

If not astreas what should I look to at this point?

Thanks guys

Ron Reefman

How about a algae eatting fish, like a sailfin blenny? After the hair algae is gone you can feed it nori in a clip (many of my fish love it).

dnguyen1

Will work for fish
Hi Ron! Yeah, algae blenny ftw.. but I just grew out of the way they look... to me a snail looks better. I can only have so many fish in the tank and would rather reserve the spot for something prettier... I feel bad saying that haha

dnguyen1

Will work for fish
Nooo doubt on the mexican turbo !! I have 2 in my 25g and they do an amazing job. I have to consider their size tho because I am very concerned about trampling on my reef.

Chris27

Are you sure it's hair algae, Astrea's are eating machines, and I have yet to see hair algae stand strong against them, regardless of the length. Perhaps you have something else that is unpalatable to them.

dnguyen1

Will work for fish
Ah, never thoguht about it... looks like hairy algae to me... short strands of "Grass" I think I'll pickup an emerald crab -_-