+1 mollies

BlastoEric1589

im working on adding some fish to my 45 reef. again...

the last occupants suffered a tragic yellow tang suicide that led to the death of all the inhabitants.

im trying to cut cost without slashing quality and im trying some available brackish water fish in my reef to add some life, and hopefully stem my algae at the same time.

guppies... i wouldnt suggest them. they couldnt handle the high flow.

but my mollies are alive, well, and happy after 4 days now in my tank and are showing NO signs of eating my LPS, SPS, or soft corals. nor are they trying to eat my nudibranches, my sea hare, nor my snails. and most of all they havent irritated my clam.

+1 for reef mollies! :D

the mollies are grazing some green hair, but not anything spectacular.

the yellow tang jumped into my surface skimming box and got stuck on the intake for my canister and my tank stagnated for 4 days and all my fish suffocated.

a blue tang, a red volitan, a 2' yellowhead moray eel, a spotted sweetlips, a coral hogfish, and a niger trigger. all dead. and my yellow tang killed them... ironically

i added some mollies to my tank maybe two weaks ago and they are doing great and they do eat some hair alge not alot but some

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14840671#post14840671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BlastoEric1589

a blue tang, a red volitan, a 2' yellowhead moray eel, a spotted sweetlips, a coral hogfish, and a niger trigger. all dead. and my yellow tang killed them... ironically

What tank was this in?

Best thing about a few mollies in a reef tank? They breed well in captivity. Free fish food for the tank inhabitants.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14841299#post14841299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DamnPepShrimp
What tank was this in?
That's what I was thinking. Hopefully not the 45g tall.
If it was, that's why your YT jumped:(

it was my 45 tall... newbie mistake... they were all cool, no aggression, but ya, a little cramped.

unfortunately i dont have a good enough camera at the moment, but you'll be seeing some pics soon enough. they look good. 2 male starburst sailfins and 6 female blacks.

How did you acclimate them?

I tried a black molly once, and tried a slow acclimation, but it lived only a day or two before biting the dust. I'd like to try again.

I have 2 sailfin/starburst males and 6 black females

i drip acclimated them for three hours. thats how long it basically took to equalize the SG in the bucket at the rate i was dripping.

the females actually were pregnant when i bought them. i havent seen babies yet, but its most likely because theyre hiding in the live rock. ill let you guys know when i can see some fry for sure.

oh, and rick... get a life.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14854627#post14854627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BlastoEric1589
it was my 45 tall... newbie mistake... they were all cool, no aggression, but ya, a little cramped.

I'm no Mr. Expert and I don't mean to be a pest, but for someone with 10 years experience in FW, you should know enough to research your fish and if you had, you'd never have put a YT (or half those other fish) in that small tank. That's not a newbie mistake, that's a lack of care IMO. You seem very casual about it. I'm just sayin'.

they were all doing great until the tang got caught on my canister intake...

so please do one of two things...
1)explain to me why my fish were perfectly healthy and eating fine before the yellow tang was trapped
2) forget the stupid fish because being a know-it-all isnt going to bring my fish back from the dead, and get back to the orgional point of this thread.

i know... too many fish... blah blah blah... im talking about mollies.

is 6 mollies too many fish for my tank??

give me a break

responses like that alien, they belong in the beginnners forum...

Back