10 Gallon with natural sunlight

joekidwell

Tank is 5 weeks old seeded with rock from my established tank. My problem is cloudy water. It gets natural sun till 1 pm then the 150 watt halide comes on. Do I need a uv sterilizer? Or am I still building bacteria? All my tests say I'm done with the cycle, I had a fish store confirm this as well. The tank is a macro algae grow out tank the only reason for the strong lighting.

I really like that natural light look. Make the whole tank look realistic, not so blued out as some you see. I'm sure it makes taking pictures easier too.

I believe it's calcium, I poured some vinegar in a cup full of sand, it's a slow boil as it dissolves the calcium.

Here is a couple tank progress pics. Still dealing with diatoms on the rocks and sand other than that I'm happy.

The tank shot from today is cloudy because I just cleaned the glass getting ready for a water change.

that is a cool idea and wish I could get away with another tank. Question, how much does the temperature swing with the direct sun light "heat"?

well, depending on where you live, the ambient temperature could increase and decrease depending on the time of month, you may want to keep a thermometer, just in case, but usually (if you are using a heater, my project wont either, mine will be using solar powered lights only) the heater tends to regulate temperatures automatically (at least the one I have) otherwise, to keep your tank warm, you may want your room temperature to be at least a bit over 20 degrees, the ambient sunlight should be able to do the rest, for me (since I'm in the uk) I'm putting mine in my alcove in my bedroom (the light is charged from the windowsill) because its quite warm. Also, that 2 litre I was talking about? he submerged it in his main tank if the temperature was too high/low.

Back