10g Coldwater nano help

AlaskaMatt

Hello all, i am getting ready to purchase all the equipment for my 10 gallon tank for mainly local (SE Alaska) tidal creatures(One or two sculpins, and various inverts i find and maby a soft coral or two) and had a few questions. Being Alaska our waters are not exactly tropical, and i would guess where i live its about 45-50F so i am going to need a good chiller (house temp is at 70F), does anyone have any suggestions on a good chiller? I was hoping to keep the whole setup costs under $300-350. Right now on the tank i have a couple old HOB filters (Whisper 20, and Walmart filter for 30g tank not sure what brand but i took out the carbon/filter bag and threw in a few pot scrubbies), is this going to be enough flow? With this setup would it be a good idea to include a skimmer in my setup(Going to be doing water changes every other week with seawater)? And i apologize if this is the wrong forum. If anyone has any suggestions (and i would not refuse a few links to some coldwater literature ethier ;) ) i appreciate all the help i can get :)

Yeah ive seen that site before, his tanks truly are amazing. But i have not seen any info regarding smaller coldwater setups.

If you can do a search as I remember reading through quite an extensive thread on coldwater setups. Also check the advanced topics section as that may have been where I saw it. Good luck, when you get some pics make sure to post them.

I apologize, RC won't let me give you the URL (jealous, maybe?)
try doing a search for "coldwater" or "temperate" threads at nano-reef DOT COM. I hope you post pics, I've definitely never seen an Alaskan biotope nano!

Thanks for the links, right now i'm just saving up for a chiller then ill get it all setup and post a bunch a pics :)

Back