10g Nano reef by a complete noob (help will be needed)

DanB80TTS

So before I get into the tank I want to build I feel like a little background is need of why I am doing a saltwater tank and why I am here on this forum in the first place.

Why Reef Central?
Well I am part of 3 other forums, 2 of which are active, 1 very active which is fine. My hobby has always revolved around freshwater but I'd often click into random threads to look at salt tanks. However now that I own salt and need the help, the salt sides of all of these forums are practically dead so wouldn't it make sense to join a saltwater dedicated forum? The answer is probably yes, so here I am!

How did I get into saltwater?
I have owned or been a part of freshwater tanks for around 10 years when my Dad and I got started on them. I grew up, got married and took my fish keeping a little further and now own 7-8ish tanks (ish? I make changes and break down and redo tanks pretty often so there isn't always 8 running)
About 1-2months ago I was looking through craigslist for deals on aquariums and somehow came across a 37g saltwater tank for $20, who is going to pass that up? Of course it wasn't going to be an amazing reef set up but a neglected FOWLR that someone had lost interest in. In short there was more hair algae than there was water, the live rock basically looked like giant marimo moss balls and the filtration consisted of an aqueon 10 and a Hydor nano 240.

I decided that I would get the tank and transfer it all down to a 20g long tank and use the stand since it would fit the 20g and that's what I did. I sold the 37g tank itself which reimbursed me for both the entire setup and paid for a bag of salt. Fast forward a little bit and after trying to turn the tank around by switching to RO water (previous owner used tap), adding a 425gph powerhead and trying to maintain the tank into better condition to no avail I started losing interest in it.
Sure, at this point you think well his 10g nano isn't going to last long. Well that's where you would be wrong, here's the think with the 20g, it wasn't my tank that I built, It was somebody else's failed effort that I was trying to make work thus no real pride or motivation to be had for me and that is why I am doing this tank, for me.

I just sold some of the fish over the weekend that won't be any good for a 10g (20g wasn't suitable for them as it was). For $25 somebody got themselves a red banded sand perch, a green chromis and a sand sifting star.
There was a yellowtail damsel when I got the tank too but he died about a week or two ago.
Right now I am left with, Black and white clownfish (i'd like an exact id on him), a skunk cleaner shrim, 2 or 3 nassarius snails, some kind of round shelled snail that if it falls on its back it will die, an emerald crab, a scarlet reef hermit, a mexican red leg hermit and a pencil urchin. These are what will be going in my 10g, I know there are mixed feelings about clowns in 10g but plenty of people keep 2 of them successfully. The one critter I am not sure about is the pencil urchin, I always forget about him so need to research if he can stay or needs to go.

FINALLY THE TANK:
If you made it to this point then well done and thank you for reading all that nonsense up there.
This tank is being done on a budget, I want to try and do as much DIY as I can to keep the cost low.
Right now the tank sits empty in it's location with some DIY egg crate ready to support the live rock. I had a broken box fan so cut the grating off of it to use instead of buying egg crate.
The light is a cheap unbranded LED that was In with the deal on craigslist.
I am in the process of building a HOB fuge using an aquaclear 50 that I have, It has 2 chambers, one that I plan to use for carbon and the larger for some rock rubble and a macro algae and pods.

I will be using the live rock I already have (currently being blacked out to kill as much hair algae as possible) The 2 powerheads I have will go in the tank too (hopefully not too much flow) Hydor nano 240 and 425.
Sand is on it's way, caribseas fiji pink aragolive reef sand.

I do want upgrade the lighting to support some easy soft corals however I would like to do it for next to nothing, impossible is probably what you are thinking but I am willing to build my own LED set, just need to know what all LED's I will need and where might be good to buy them.

For the corals, once I am confident maintaining constant levels in the tank I figured a mushroom is where to start, followed by something like xenia or leather, research and help is needed big time with the corals, I just don't want to mess with palytoxins, not because I am incapable or reckless but I do have a young child and prevention is the best cure (or the only cure with palytoxin)

That's kind of an outline, I will end it here, rip me a new one if need be but I'd prefer encouragement of course.

Thanks for reading all of that (if you did) hope you can stick with me and help me build a nice tank.

I read it! Good post actually, I can tell you've been doing research. The posts that drive me nuts are the two sentence "I got a tank. What do I do now?" kind of posts, so no worries there.

So anyway, sounds like you are on the right track. The DIY area of the forum has stuff on LEDs you might want to check that out. I think a nano is great for doing some DIY and getting your feet wet, no pun intended haha.

Pencil urchin might be a bit of a bull in a china shop if you have corals. They can knock things over.

The rock - I'm worried it's probably saturated in phosphate and you will have endless algae issues even removing what you can of the hair algae. There are various methods of leaching phosphates, all with vats of nasty chemicals. There are threads about that.

Mushrooms are a great choice! Lots of different colors and some of the easiest ones out there. Leathers are neat but get kind of big and can engage in chemical warfare with the mushrooms. Xenia is fun - a lot of people hate it but it's so fun to look at (the kid will love it). It will grow wildly but it's harmless as far as I know and very easy to just chop a section off when it gets too big. Kenya tree coral is also an easy one with kind of the look of a finger leather. Green star polyps are fun too - also tend to grow everywhere but isn't that part of the fun?

Have fun!

I read it! Good post actually, I can tell you've been doing research. The posts that drive me nuts are the two sentence "I got a tank. What do I do now?" kind of posts, so no worries there.

So anyway, sounds like you are on the right track. The DIY area of the forum has stuff on LEDs you might want to check that out. I think a nano is great for doing some DIY and getting your feet wet, no pun intended haha.

Pencil urchin might be a bit of a bull in a china shop if you have corals. They can knock things over.

The rock - I'm worried it's probably saturated in phosphate and you will have endless algae issues even removing what you can of the hair algae. There are various methods of leaching phosphates, all with vats of nasty chemicals. There are threads about that.

Mushrooms are a great choice! Lots of different colors and some of the easiest ones out there. Leathers are neat but get kind of big and can engage in chemical warfare with the mushrooms. Xenia is fun - a lot of people hate it but it's so fun to look at (the kid will love it). It will grow wildly but it's harmless as far as I know and very easy to just chop a section off when it gets too big. Kenya tree coral is also an easy one with kind of the look of a finger leather. Green star polyps are fun too - also tend to grow everywhere but isn't that part of the fun?

Have fun!

So what would you do about the rock? I guess it does make sense that it could be saturated with phosphates being that it was in that environment for a long time.
I was going to use carbon in my mini fuge but perhaps some kind of phosphate remover would be better? I'm sure its phosphate absorbing capacity would be filled pretty quickly though.

My sand and refractometer got here today, I now have a cloudy tank of saltwater with one of my live rocks sat in it.
My urchin and emerald crab are burrowed into the two other rocks so I am thinking I'll need to acclimate the rocks with the creatures at the same time, will make scaping a little more difficult that's for sure.

There are different types of phosphate removers, same concept as carbon. You can put them in a bag in the fuge. Yes, they will need to be changed out regularly because they will get saturated.

One of the nice things with a nano that you're just setting up is that it's easy to try different things. Use the rock and see how it goes. You can always make adjustments later.

You might be able to harass the emerald crab enough to drop off the rock it's on but I don't know about the urchin. It is harder to move rocks with critters on them, that is for sure. But it can be done. The tank will take a couple of (frustrating!) days to clear anyway.

I got my tank cleared up already, I ran my fuge packed with polyester filling along with a Marineland biowheel packed full of more floss and it did the trick.

I decided to just acclimate the rocks with the critters on them. Everything spend the night in their new home last night, the clown stayed at the surface all night though from what I could see and I was worried the oxygen levels may be low since the thermometer is reading 82f so I will cross reference with another thermometer to find out, the water feel like mid 70's though to me.

Do you think my flow is overkill? A nano 425 + 240 + the AC50 fuge = 865gph turnover I believe.

I'd like to get some more rock, but smaller pieces, I may even take a hammer to the piece I have curing when it's done. That way they'll be some rubble for the fuge too.

Anyway, here is a pic of what i have so far.

Attachments

• DSCN0617.jpg
    DSCN0617.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
Added 3 blue leg hermits yesterday and ordered a 10lbs bag of rubble from BRS to see if I can build a bit more of an interesting aquascape.

Nice looking tank! I'm loving my 10 gallon. Very well documented also man I'm jealous lol. I have a ac50 on mine with a nano 425. I have good flow I like the 240 tho keep us posted how it works out. I also went with a ocean box designs overflow box to surface skim

looks good! Both powerheads could be overkill but not necessarily. If it's a blizzard of sand and your fish is fighting the current nonstop it's probably too much. But it doesn't look that way in the pic anyway. Probably good to have a lot of water turnover now, with temp and things still getting settled in.

Got my rock rubble and picked out a couple larger pieces and tried gluing them together. I wet them first which I think was a stupid move, well superglue just wouldn't cut it so they are now at the mercy of my inhabitants (unless my superglue does decide to work.

Opinions on the structure please, also when I get my mushroom coral (already on a rock) I was thinking of putting it under one of the 'bridges' but not sure which would work best in terms of looks and functionality. I think the left since there will be less flow there.
Here's 2 mock up pictures, option 1 or 2?

Attachments

• Reef 2.jpg
    Reef 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
  • option 1.jpg
    option 1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 0
  • option 2.jpg
    option 2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Is this Coralline algae already? This rock ruble that I constructed my bridge out of has been in the tank less than 2 weeks or so, is this coralline or something else?

Attachments

• DSCN0650.jpg
    DSCN0650.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
Looks like coralline to me! But ive never actually had it seed base rock that quickly (although i still dont think its anything else).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Some of your rock looks aged already? It spreads quickly if it been introduced either through shells or frags

Some of your rock looks aged already? It spreads quickly if it been introduced either through shells or frags

Yep, some of the live rock is likely over a year old (rock came from a setup on craigslist I bought a while back) but I didn't think it would seed it in less than 2 weeks so hopefully that is a goof sign of a healthy tank.

I just bought some mushrooms and chaeto and have them floating to temp acclimate right now.
I plan to just have the chaeto in the DT until I find a light for my HOB fuge.

Tested all my levels that I have the tests for tonight and everything is looking good.
Alkalinity - 8 dKH
Salinity - 1.026
Temperature - 79F
pH - 8.2
Nitrate - 10 ppm

Sounds like you're on track!

Sounds like you're on track!

On the coralline algae, I've got some growing on my returns, and I'm just a bit over 3 weeks in. Two of the LR pieces I have in the tank come from well established show tanks in the LFS I bought them from. It's a good thing!

I did a 3 gallon water change on the tank and changed up the scape a little bit, not a whole lot but i think the new layout will be better for a goby shrimp pair to construct a burrow when I get them.
I also changed the design to pull the rock away from the glass so make cleaning the sides a lot easier. I am a little concerned though as I haven't seen my emerald crab in a few days, changing the scape I might have trapped him inside one of the live rocks since he liked to hide in some of the nooks and crannies it provided. If he was in one of the places that is now against the sand bed, would he be able to dig his way out, if he was in there, how would I get him out?

I ordered my other test kits too so I will be able to test phosphates and calcium soon.

Been a while since I was on here, made a few minor changes to the tank. Today I just rigged up my new light, hopefully will get a few more corals in the coming weeks.
Also on the look out for a goby shrimp pair ideal for a 10g setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 1
Back