115 gallon plumbing problem

Generalsid

Hi guys. I have picked up a 115 gallon tank(48x18x31) with two built it holes and 1.5 inch bulkheads already installed for drain and return. I have a 35 gallon sump refugium to go with it as well. I am just getting really confused with the plumbing. The drain isn't much of an issue since I can run 1.5 inch piping all the way down to the sump. Problem I am having is designing the return line. The pump im hoping would work is the mag drive 9500 that I have lying around and it has an outlet of 3/4 inch male while the return bulkhead in the display tank is 1.5 inch. not sure how to connect the two. I will need a check valve and a ball valve there on the return line. Can anyone please give me a design on this plumbing project? This is my very first sump so any help would be highly appreciated. I still have to put an overflow box around the bulkhead since it didn't come with one. Dimensions for overflow box would be helpful too. Thanks.

Attachments

• 110 gallin kijiji.jpg
    110 gallin kijiji.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
You can get plumbing reducers to make the 2 sizes fit together. You sure the return line has a 1.5'' bulkhead? It looks much smaller than the drain in the pic. I personally would not bother with a check valve as they usually arnt reliable and reduce flow. Just keep the loc line close to or above the water.

Thanks, yea I measured the return line bulkhead by putting a female adapter today and it was 1.5 inch. So the reducers, can they go back to back or do they need to be connected through pvc? thanks for ur help

well, let me clarify... you can probably find concentric and eccentric pvc reducers, theyre just a little harder to find... at least ive never used them and i am a plumber.

alright ill try looking for those pvc reducers. I spent about 2 hours at two hardware stores but couldn't complete the return line plumbing because I couldn't find the appropriate parts. Thanks for your advice Kamero. Anobody have any pictures of this kind of setup by any chance?

Back