12,000K MH bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

purpletang

I am considering upgrading my 175 10,000K MH with a 12,000K MH (on a 75 gal tank). I've heard you loose a lot of intensity as you increase the temp, so should I go for a 400W 12,000K MH - again this is a 75 gal tank. Has anyone had experiences with the new 12,000K bulbs?
thanks, David

Hi,

I upgraded from 6500K to 12000K. The light is ver nice; I'm really happy with the effect. It is certainly blue, but I love the richness of color that I'm seeing now.

I just switched from 175w 10,000k bulbs to 400w 12,000k bulbs. Other than being much brighter(because of the watt increase) they don't look that much different to me. At first, the 12,000k looks more green, but once it gets hot, it looks very much like the 10,000k. Maybe a little bit more white

FOX

------------------
angelfire.com/ak3/korysreef.htm

thanks for the input guys. do you think 400W 12,000K is TOO much for a 75 gal tank. right now I have xenia, leather, mushrm, birdsnest, brain, and porite corals, but i guess I wouldn't mind putting in long tentacle plate or acroporas later. thanks again, David

i have a 400W iwasaki w/ 4 NO actinics on my 65g. works great! :D
i think frisco just added TWO 400W MH's to his 55g.
too much light??? what does that mean :confused:

------------------
have a nice day
psychocoralchopper

come and visit my reefs:
Reeftopia

[This message has been edited by psychocoralchopper (edited 02-10-2000).]

Yeah. What's too much light???

For starters, here's a couple pictures that show the same tank with 3 different bulbs: http://www.vt1design.com/mhbulbs/

I've heard that the 12KKs are both brighter to the eye and more blue than the 20KKs. I definitely can't comment on the lifetime or actual intensity.

you also might want to check out the Feb 2000 AFM online article on filtering the 6500K bulbs to produce an output that looks dramatically less yellow than normal. There's a plastic vendor in my city that appears to sell this stuff, so when I have a chance to buy a piece I'll let you know how it works.

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/FriscoReef/

I think the color of the 12K's are real nice. the reason that they may appear whiter than 10K's is because some bulbs such as "Coral Life" are much more blue than german bulbs. Coral Life 10k bulbs are about as blue as German 15K bulbs. If you use the whiter bulbs, I think you will like the 12k's.

I have pix of my tank running w/ the 12kK's here:
http://207.168.36.65

I shut my machine off at night, so if you want to check them out, do it during the day...:)

Enjoy.
James Wiseman

------------------
James Wiseman
www.reefs.org

LMAO!! Good one James. I guess the entire house is dark now because I couldn't access the site. ;)
Wow, these Sunburst 12,000K bulbs are getting a lot of attention lately. Always new things popping up. I might have to give them a try. Or should I go with the original plan of changing to 250w bulbs instead and go with the Iwasaki 6500K. Hmmm. Decisions.

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef

I just switched from Corallife 12Ks to German 10Ks. I loved the blue effect of the 12Ks and everything looked great. But somehow the 10Ks really make it look like tropical afternoon sun to me.

(I have supplemental fluorescents though)

I have two 400w 12kK for my new 120gal. I'm still waiting on the stand. So I wired one up last weekend and placed it over my 55gal just for grines. :D New toys, must play... I have 20kK and 03 Actinics normally on this tank, and, I must say that the one halide bulb looked just as good.

NorthCoast

My ISP changed my IP address to:

Please make a note of it.

J

------------------
James Wiseman
www.reefs.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back