120 gallon reef tank lighting?

msmith619

I am setting up a 120 gallon reef, 48x24x24 and am transferring my 56 gallon tall reef to it this weekend.
My current fixture is a T5 (30 Inch 4x24 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture W/ 2 Lunar LEDs) and I have been very pleased with this with great growth.
My livestock include: photosynthetic gorgonians, long tentacle anemones, multiple Zoanthids and Palyzoas, mostly LPS (torch, blasto, duncan, and acans), and montipora.
I would like to try a few more sps in the new aquarium. I am not sure that the 48" version of this light would be sufficient in this larger tank and would like some recommendations please.
I am interested in LEDs and wonder what your recommendation would be. I was considering two of the
Maxspect R420R Razor LED Lighting Fixture - 16000K 20.5 inch.
Is this overkill? Would the 48 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture w/ 4 Lunar LEDs be enought? Is there another fixture you would recommend?
I will be buying very soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3093.jpg
    IMG_3093.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
I have same size tank and bought the ATI 8 bulb 48 inch fixture and love it great color and growth. My tank is mostly sps. You could pry get away with 6 bulb ati sunpower and just do sps up high.

Im running a sunlight supply Tek 8x54 with an LED light bar. My tank is also mostly SPS. T5/LED combo works best for me.

Last edited:
Either the razors or T5s will work but IMO if you go with T5, you'll want to go with a 6 or 8 bulb fixture.

Does anyone have this fixture? How do you like it?

This is a fairly new fixture, but the 16", 24" and 32" versions have been out there for about a year now. Over all I think they have received a very good review. I have 3 fixtures by the same builder over 2 of my tanks for 8 months and I love them! I've had zero issues and my corals are growing great and look great too. IMHO, right now, these are the best value for your money. :thumbsup:

I run 2 400w halides and 432w of t5 over mine. same tank size. I have 2 small fans that keep it steady at 78.5 to 79.5 when all lights are on. 12 hr schedule. halides on for 8 hrs. I get great growth and color. acclimation would obviously be required.

Back