120g plumbing advice needed pls

Blayz77

ok so im about to order a 120g standard 48x24x24. the fish guy tells me there is a 2 inch drain and duel 1 inch returns.

now going by what he tells me and the sump i am looking at i would have to reduce the 2 inch drain with a T-fitting into 2 1 inch fitting for the sump. and also for 2 one inch returns i would either need 2 return pumps to run each seperatly or combine them so one pump can run both. is it just me or does that seem backwards.

the reason i am asking is iv'e read a few times that once you get into the bigger tanks you want to have a backup drain. in which case it would make sense to use the 2 1 inch holes as drains and the 2 inch hole gets reduced for the returns. the only problem i see with this is real estate in the overflow trying to fit 2 durso drains along with return lines?

i could use some help on this so that when i get my tank i know what to do with the plumbing. i would like to get it right the first time =)

thx.

The 2" hole is likely for a 1 1/2" bulkhead (don't usually see anyone using 2" bulkheads) If this is the case, I would use the 1 1/2" line for drain, one of the 1" lines for an emergency (assuming your using the Herbie method) and the remaining 1" as the return. If the 2" is for a 2" bulkhead, just reduce it to 1 1/2" and follow the above. Hope this helps.

this makes sense, ill have to read up on the different drain types again its been a while since i looked into it. i got a durso style on my 50g. was never really happy with it since it made flushing sounds i had to drill a hole and put some air line to make it more quiet.

That's an unusual configuration for a 120 gal. Mine had two 1" drains and two 3/4" returns. I used two 1 1/4" Dursos and two 3/4" returns the split into a total of four Loc-line outlets. I used air valves on the top of each Durso and no noise issues. You just have to balance the return flow with the drains. I use a gate valve at my return pump to alance things out.

yeah once i put the airline in the drilled holes the noise is gone, see what you said milk man makes more sense to me in terms of holes for the tank, i also feel there should be 4 in there closer to what you are saying 2 return and 2 drain. im suppose to meet with a sales rep from lee mar on tuesday for some reason he wants to show me some pictures or samples of the stuff they do to make sure i pick exactly what i want. ill ask him directly how the holes are setup and if he says the same thing the fish guy told me, if so ill ask if i can change it up.

i would like to avoid crowding in the overflow if at all possible but at the same time i want to make sure the tank has the setup that is best suited for it.

Back