125 FOWLR fish/Eel questions. Pic

Blown 346

I will try here since I havent had much luck elsewhere.

I am planning on getting a Jeweled Moray Eel, I want to keep 2 more fish in the tank for added enjoyment.

I was thinking of having a Porcupine puffer and a Harlequin Tusk. I will be buying these 2 fish larger than normal for the reason I dont want them to be Eel food. My question is will these 2 fish work with the Eel? I want to keep the Tusk, the puffer im not sure about. If not what would you suggest for a replacment fish over the puffer?

I had thought about a Lyretail Wrasse but am concerned as it doesnt get very big (6 Inches). The Eel will be between 12 and 16 inches long when I purchase it.

Here is a pic of the tank.
DSCN0887.jpg

The Lyretail wrasse would go down like spaghetti if the eel has any size ;) The puffer and tusk should be fine.

Agreed with above. You'll be fine with the puffer and tusk. Though I'm interested what lyretail wrasse only gets 6". All I can find referred to as a lyretail wrasse is a lunare wrasse, and they get at least 10" (and I think that would be fine, although very aggressive).

That is the wrasse, I meant to say the wrasse size would be 6" when I would purchase it, which made me worry.

i dont know if your eel is almost the same as mine but i had a zebra eel in a 90 gallon and it never bothered my other fish,it was about 12 inches long

I think your choice of eel, tusk and puffer is a great one for that tank. I'd leave it at that, at least for now.

I have a Brazilian dragon moray, I think it is related to the jeweled moray. Mine is a very aggressive feeder. It is with a zebra moray, ~8" black tip grouper, 4" dogface puffer and ~5" Hawaiian pinktip trigger. I keep the eel very well fed, but have not had any problems with it trying to eat these fish.

For some reason, the grouper, who used to hide in the rocks all the time, is out and following the puffer around. If the puffer is resting (say on a powerhead) the grouper will perch on top of the puffer's head and stroke it with a pectoral fin. What's up with that??? This behavior doesn't seem to faze the puffer.

I have a juvenile niger trigger and blue spotted rabbitfish that also hang out with each other.

This is why I keep fish (sometimes with corals) and not corals (sometimes with fish). :)

Last edited:
I don't think the lunare would get eaten, then. But honestly they're really quite aggressive, and in a 90g that's bad news. They're also so active they could make your head hurt, and you'd likely need to upgrade because of it. I'd just stick with the tusk instead.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11391329#post11391329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LukFox
I don't think the lunare would get eaten, then. But honestly they're really quite aggressive, and in a 90g that's bad news. They're also so active they could make your head hurt, and you'd likely need to upgrade because of it. I'd just stick with the tusk instead.

?? The Tusk, puffer and Eel would be in my 125 gallon.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11394328#post11394328 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blown 346
?? The Tusk, puffer and Eel would be in my 125 gallon.

Oh wow sorry! Totally was thinking about some other tank I guess. The 125g is big enough for the lunare, in that case. Still, aggression is a possible issue, but you could try it since the other tank mates aren't really water column swimmers. I'm not sure if a lunare would mind them since they aren't taking up its space.

how about a red coris instead? there are a few Thalassoma wrasses I'd rank above the lunare.

I wouldn't put a tusk and a lunar in the same tank, I'd think they'd fight. I'd go with the puffer and tusk, the lunars are pretty aggressive.

btw, off topic, your name is blown 346, do you have a LS1? (346ci)

The tank will be covered with eggcrate, I am going to hold it down with zipties going thru part of the plastic frame.

DamnPepShrimp: I have a 2000 SS thats Procharged, a 2001 Z06 that also Procharged and a 2004 Silverado SS with a 6 Liter. I guess you can say Im somewhat of a fan of the LS1.

Back