125-gallon Rebuild?

so, update time. First things first--the rocks were rescued from the deep freeze in bleach:

Then given a muriatic acid bath:

After a proper rinsing, I tried to create some bridges and caves using PVC pipes:

And this is the finished product. Most of the PVC is well hidden, and I hope coralline hides the rest:

Let the cycling begin!

Two tasks remain:
1) clean out and install my GFO and carbon reactors
2) Buy new water reservoirs and design a better holding/ATO/kalk station

looks nice and clean... good job

thanks! by bro-in-law borrowed my camera, so these are all iphone or hero pics--they don't do the tank justice! the colors and clarity are actually superb, and hopefully I can share that with you guys soon.

question about the lights,, have a nice spread to them? do you see spot light affect with them? do you the colors blend well together or do you see different colors on the sand bed? are those the 16" or the 24"? and last question, sorry just really curious about them, what optics did you go with?

I went with 3x16", 120-degree optics, about 8" above water. Spread is great--only dark spot is about the top third of the background glass. Very bright (pics do not do justice).

But yes, I do get individual color effects--on the sand I can see red spots and blue spots. I don't know if that's just with all LEDs or with these cheaper ones.

There is also a lot of shimmer effect, which I don't like as much, but it actually helps dissipate the color-spot effects.

Overall very happy with the color and brightness. Would not go back to my MH + T5 for now.

Looks good! I like how open the tank looks. I also like the bridge and cave hidden PVC. How many lbs of rock do you have in your 125? I am going to start a 125 soon and I am thinking about mostly base/dry and adding a few lbs of live to seed the base/dry.

I have about 150 lbs in total, probably 75 in the DT and same amount in sump/fuge and the rest sitting around.

Looking good, but..
I would dump the sand (if it is standard aragonite, not silica based) it already absorbed a lot of PO4 and will just leak it out, standard old tank syndrome.

Regarding Brute sump, u should have checked what is material exactly - if it is food grade like HDPE(in that case u should be ok). Some other materials will just dissolve and leak various chemicals.

Looking good. This is only personal choice, but I think shallow beds look better (again this is only my personal choice) then a DSB. I keep mine around 2 inches.

I use a mix of Oolite sand (can be a PITA) and Special Grade Reef.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I read your opening post and was a little angry at what I read. Please correct if I am wrong but you lost power while out over the weekend and the tank took a bad turn and never fully recovered? You only feed your fish once a month?

You should not be allowed to set this tank up because from what I am reading you refused to take care of your responsibility as a pet owner once things kinda went wrong? Feed the Dottyback once a month, thats pretty bad and rather upsetting.

Also you need to prepare better for your pets with a back up plan or someone to watch your tank while your away. Its not fair to the animals to leave them on there own with no support.
I have not read through this whole thread because I am a flat out disgusted.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I read your opening post and was a little angry at what I read. Please correct if I am wrong but you lost power while out over the weekend and the tank took a bad turn and never fully recovered? You only feed your fish once a month?

You should not be allowed to set this tank up because from what I am reading you refused to take care of your responsibility as a pet owner once things kinda went wrong? Feed the Dottyback once a month, thats pretty bad and rather upsetting.

Also you need to prepare better for your pets with a back up plan or someone to watch your tank while your away. Its not fair to the animals to leave them on there own with no support.
I have not read through this whole thread because I am a flat out disgusted.

Jeez, you're not trying to be a jerk? He's trying to do a better job this time around. Sure he neglected his fish but he's trying to start over and not have that happen again. At least he was honest to a bunch of complete strangers, one of which had the gall to tell him that he shouldn't be allowed to keep some little fish. At least encourage him.

Nmbeg,

Keep it up. Your tank is looking really nice. I know what it's like to lose a little interest after a set-back like you had. Don't feel bad, just keep going.

Kindergarten was a long time ago but I seem to remember someone telling me
"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"

Krzy,

Appreciate your comments. I'm not proud of my bad husbandry, and as noted above trying to do better this time around. A little encouragement would be appreciated.

FWIW, I checked on him regularly. He was healthy, plump, and active till he disappeared one day. He went almost 2 years without feeds--but having a 125 for himself I think he found plenty of food. I don't think he starved--I wouldn't do that to a fish.

P.S. I read about how you let your fish die by purposely neglecting to cover your tank, but I am not going to suggest you leave the hobby because of that :)

Fantastic work on the rebuild! Tank is coming along great. What kind of fish are planning on getting?

Back