125-gallon Rebuild?

Krzy also will have the tang police after him for keeping a hippo tang in a 125 gallon. I digress, op glad you have a renewed feeling for the hobby. When the hobby felt like a chore I knew it was time for a break. So I broke down my tank several years ago and came back to it with a fresh start. I also found new technology that made reef keeping more enjoyable and less of a chore.

Krzy,

Appreciate your comments. I'm not proud of my bad husbandry, and as noted above trying to do better this time around. A little encouragement would be appreciated.

FWIW, I checked on him regularly. He was healthy, plump, and active till he disappeared one day. He went almost 2 years without feeds--but having a 125 for himself I think he found plenty of food. I don't think he starved--I wouldn't do that to a fish.

P.S. I read about how you let your fish die by purposely neglecting to cover your tank, but I am not going to suggest you leave the hobby because of that :)

Not covering a tank, is quite different than not feeding an animal but once a month because the tank wasn't doing well. You can say anything you want, but the two have no comparison. You refused to provide food for a living creature under your care. That's abuse & neglect in my opinion weather a fish or a cat or a Bald Eagle, what's the difference.
We learn a lot in this hobby about caring for difficult things, and I would expect that your going to do more than try to do a good job.
Having an animal die under your care when doing the best job you can is one thing, but refusing to feed your animal is a whole different ball game. That is way different.

I'm sorry, but point is, feed your fish!

Krzy also will have the tang police after him for keeping a hippo tang in a 125 gallon. I digress, op glad you have a renewed feeling for the hobby. When the hobby felt like a chore I knew it was time for a break. So I broke down my tank several years ago and came back to it with a fresh start. I also found new technology that made reef keeping more enjoyable and less of a chore.

Sorry, but that depends on what you are reading and who wrote it.A 6 foot tank is recommended for a hippo with plenty of swimming room. I have provided that.

Kindergarten was a long time ago but I seem to remember someone telling me
"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"

You are correct, that was said in kindergarten. I am not in kindergarten anymore and if no one acknowledges failure to feed a fish, than the OP might think its ok to do this again.
Hey, I am not perfect, and don't claim to be. Just a small voice in the hopes this wont happen again.

Jeez, you're not trying to be a jerk? He's trying to do a better job this time around. Sure he neglected his fish but he's trying to start over and not have that happen again. At least he was honest to a bunch of complete strangers, one of which had the gall to tell him that he shouldn't be allowed to keep some little fish. At least encourage him.

Nmbeg,

Keep it up. Your tank is looking really nice. I know what it's like to lose a little interest after a set-back like you had. Don't feel bad, just keep going.

"Some little fish", really! So you condone this behavior of not feeding a fish for a year.
I guess were all in this hobby for different reasons. Keeping aquariums has totally changed my view of fish over the years and all animals for that matter. I have grown into an animal lover. I worked as a manager in a pet store, they paid me pretty good but I quit only after 2 months because there were so many fish dying under this companies care and it was all due to lack of training. The GM would not allow me to spend the needed time to help fix the problem. So I spent it there anyway and started getting into trouble...I soon had to quit to avoid getting fired and being unemployed.
Before I left I spent all my time teaching there techs how to eliminate the ammonia that's was causing the fish to die.
Sounds weird but I thought it was a dream job, but turns out I care about animals to much to have a career selling them.

Also. Sorry to everyone if I came on a little strong. I apologize. OP, I apologize to you too for judging you.

I hope this time around everything works out. We all have issues in this hobby and strive to provide the right care.

Along for the ride! Love watching tanks progress and turn into masterpieces. Love the in-the-wall build. What are you planning to keep? (softies, LPS, SPS, ....etc) or just fish?

Also. Sorry to everyone if I came on a little strong. I apologize. OP, I apologize to you too for judging you.

I hope this time around everything works out. We all have issues in this hobby and strive to provide the right care.

Nicely said, no one wishes harm on the creatures we care for but then,we all make mistakes. I'm sure the Op has learned from his & this time around will be better.

Thanks guys and thank you krzy or saying what needed to be said. You're right.

I think I need a hug now :)

Not feeding an animal for a month (year?) should not be considered to be just a "mistake", its cruel and irresponsible behavior. I hope the OP realizes that. Having said that, the OP has given himself a second chance, and based on what I have read in this post, that kind of behavior will not happen again. Just my 2 cents.

I'm confused why everyone is up in arms anyway, wouldn't the amount of pods in a 125 be enough to sustain one tiny little fish? Wasn't there a thread here on RC like a few days ago for people who rarely or never feed their tanks?

Thanks jack. Exactly.

As for updates, just cycling. Ammonia coming close to zero, waiting for the rest.

Not covering a tank, is quite different than not feeding an animal but once a month because the tank wasn't doing well.
They aren't that far apart. If you fail to cover a tank and lose multiple fish and still fail to cover the tank then you are failing at your responsibility to setup a safe and good environment for your fish. Not feeding is still bad but not giving the proper tank setup is also bad.

Ok, it's been two months since my last post.

Accomplishments:
cycle--check.
first livestock--check.
first coral--not yet.

I have 4 fish, healthy and thriving--YT, 2 clowns, and firefish. coralline algae spreading, doing it's thing. greens beginning in fuge.

thanks for being patient!

looks very nice, I will be starting a rebuild on my 180 pretty soon.
You have done a great job and encouraged me to get on with my rebuild.

again,,awesome rebound on the tank...those lights look very bright. makes everything more vivid it seems.

Back