125 gallon with basement sump....

waverz

Slave to the reef!
I am setting up a 125 gallon tank in my dining room and am going to run the sump and fuge in the basement. Luckily the tank is right above where my sump and fuge is going to go so plumbing isn't going to be big hassle. Here is my proposed plan of attack, i have a 40 gallon breeder with baffles that i am currently using for a sump, i also have a 100 gallon rubber maid tub that i got for dirt cheap i would like incorporate into the system. I think i will take out all the baffles out of the 40 breeder except the one for my skimmer chamber have the overflow run into that, then i plan on drilling the other side of the 40 and have the water go from there and drain into the 100 gallon rubbermaid which will sit under the 40. I will have my top-off and return hooked up to the rubbermaid.

Sound like a decent plan? I guess i really don;t need to have the rubbermaid tub hooked up but why not? More water volume the better right? Plus the tub has a ball valve on it so water changes would be a breeze.

What do you guys think?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Having the 40g. for the skimmer should work ok great, give you lots of room for the skimmer. Plus you can put it above the main sump so you wont have to bend over to work on it.

The fuge will be in the chamber opposite of the skimmer, so water will go from tank, to skimmer to fuge to 100 gallon rubbermaid, then back to the tank. I guess if my mangroves get to burly i could move them to the rubbermaid and just do macro algae in the 40 breeder fuge.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10419753#post10419753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waverz
The fuge will be in the chamber opposite of the skimmer, so water will go from tank, to skimmer to fuge to 100 gallon rubbermaid, then back to the tank. I guess if my mangroves get to burly i could move them to the rubbermaid and just do macro algae in the 40 breeder fuge.
Skys the limit with a basement setup. I have the 100 gal rubbermaid as my fuge, and a 66 gallon rubbermaid as the sump.

Here is an older pic. It is under my stairs.
Sumpfuge.jpg

Wow, that pic is horrible. That was before the fuge was operational and I was still running wires and stuff.. Much nicer now.

Back