125g Stocking List-Reccomendations Welcome

candeewolf

Well, I've basically bought all of the equipment and set it up for my new 125g (72" long) reef upgrade (with the exception of some lighting materials that should be here soon) and I'm ready for the really fun part: Stocking List ideas.

I don't have any experience with tanks larger than 80 gallons, longer than 3-4 feet, or with fish larger than 6", so thats why I need suggestions. The tank has lots of flow (up to about 40x-45x) and should contain a mix of softies and LPS with 2 BTAs. I'd love to keep a couple monti caps, but I understand how that might be hard with some of the fish on the list (especially angels). I also currently have 2 black and white clowns and a flame angel and a large brittle star that I would like to transfer over if possible, but not absolutely necessary.

However, I really need your help in deciding what would probably be the best mix of fish (without overstocking of course).
The only fish that is guaranteed to be in the tank is the Zebra Eel (I am pondering putting in 2, but I am not sure if there would be enough room). The rest is up in the air, but I do want a sort of aggressive tank with fish around the size range of 6" to 10" that utilize the long swimming space of a 72" long tank. My initial idea is to go with a school of chromis along with 4-6 anthias.

These are the fish I like that am thinking about putting in (typically 1 per species unless otherwise notified):

Zebra Moray Eel (2 if there's enough room) (guaranteed going in)

School of Blue/Green Chromis (6-7 of them)

Small School of Ignitus, Lyretail, or Squareback Anthias (whatever is cheaper/easier) (4-6 of them)

Orange-Shoulder Tang (Acanthurus olivaceous)
Purple Tang
Naso Tang, or Naso Blonde Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Desjardini Sailfin Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Yellow Mimic Tang (Acanthurus pyroferus)
Two Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus)
Achilles Tang (gotta look into care a bit more)

Two Barred Rabbitfish (Siganus virgatus)
Scribbled Rabbitfish (Siganus doliatus)

Niger Trigger
Sargassum Triggerfish (Xanthichthys ringens)
Blue Throat Trigger

Banana Wrasse (Thalassoma lutescens)
Goldbar Wrasse (Thalassoma hebraicum)
Blue Head Wrasse (Thalassoma bifasciatum)
Pinkface Wrasse (Thalassoma quinquevittatum)
Or, if none will work…the best looking Thassaloma wrasse that can be housed with the others.
Radiant Wrasse (Halichores iridis)
Green Birds Wrasse (male) (Gomphosus varius)

Angelfish appropriate for 125 gal tank (72” long):
Majestic Angelfish
Emperor Angelfish
(perhaps blueface and annularis?)

Any and all ideas are welcome that sort of fit with this. All fish must be coral safe (with the exception of SPS), but dont have to be safe with ornamental shrimp and other small invertebrates.

Thanks so much for your input.

Although beautiful, I do not think your flame angel is reef safe.

the triggers are usually not reef safe.

i would worry that the eel might eat your school of chromis.

well, I don't plan on keeping SPS, so the flame angel should be fine

The blue throat is definitely reef safe. I believe that the sargassum is usually reef safe, but I know the Niger can be troublesome sometimes with smaller fish and crustaceans.

I'm absolutely sure the eel would be fine with the chromis, as they only eat crabs and shrimp.

Anyone have any suggestions of what will look good out of this list? Maybe even something I didn't post on here? I'm not looking to spend more than $150 on any single fish, and would prefer almost all the fish to be less than $100.

Other than the bristle tooth and the Purple tang, your tank is too small for any of the other tangs. If you want an angel I would look into smaller species. Maybe a Goldflake or a centropyge.
The eels are messy and will add a substantial bioload to your tank.
I would stock fairly light if you are set on the eels.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758193#post14758193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BangkokMatt
Other than the bristle tooth and the Purple tang, your tank is too small for any of the other tangs. If you want an angel I would look into smaller species. Maybe a Goldflake or a centropyge.
The eels are messy and will add a substantial bioload to your tank.
I would stock fairly light if you are set on the eels.

I agree. Also, remember that with LPS, especially meaty ones, that angels are likely not to be reef safe.

Back