14 year old setting up a 65 gallon

Deverro

Hi! I've been setting up a 65 gallon for the past month. I've come across a lot of posts on this forum while researching, so I figured I may as well make an account on here. My nitrification cycle was completed about a week ago.:bounce1: I have just ordered some lights, and have my clean up crew in my tank. I can't wait to add some fish and coral to my tank.

Hi! I've been setting up a 65 gallon for the past month. I've come across a lot of posts on this forum while researching, so I figured I may as well make an account on here. My nitrification cycle was completed about a week ago.:bounce1: I have just ordered some lights, and have my clean up crew in my tank. I can't wait to add some fish and coral to my tank.

be patience, dont rush it. ur in good hands here. ask here before any decision. (even if u LFS says u can. question it here first. Not saying all lFS are out to rip ya off, but atleast u know people here arnt trying to sell ya a fish that they know wont make it. There are people on here with boatloads of experience with proven methods and tanks to back it up. good luck!

Good luck! hope you stick with it. This is a great site if you have questions. Has helped me out alot!

The difference between us and the lfs? We don't sell you anything.

Welcome to RC!

One thing that many reefers learn the hard way is how tough keeping fish alive actually is. Some have great luck, but for the rest of us one of the most important and also most overlooked aspect of the hobby is quarantine. It is 100% up to you to make sure you do not introduce a disease into your tank. it is very easy to do and often you cannot visually tell if a fish is sick or not.

Set up a small QT, they are inexpensive. You can setup something for under $50 that will save you hundreds if not thousands over the course of this adventure.

Congrats on the tank! Don't hesitate to ask questions and we will try our best to help you out.

quarantine. it will save you headaches later.

unless you're the risk taking kinda person and want to find out the hard way like I did! =P

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have uploaded a few pictures in my gallery. I am thinking about setting up a 10 gallon quarantine before adding in a pair of ocellaris clowns. I will ask any questions that pop up on reefcentral :)

remember that this is supposed to be fun! I have found loads of help on here and it's easy to get freaked out and stressed out. I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is on this site

just looked at your photos. cool tank and set up. Is that dry rock with a piece of live seed rock or is that the carib sea Coraline algae rock?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have uploaded a few pictures in my gallery. I am thinking about setting up a 10 gallon quarantine before adding in a pair of ocellaris clowns. I will ask any questions that pop up on reefcentral :)

welcome to the hobby and good for you for considering a qt!!

what else do you plan to add besides the clown fish? when you get your stocking list going, there is a great sticky thread in this forum where steve (snorvich) will tell you whether or not the fish on your list are compatible with each other. it's a great resource!

be patient and have FUN!

maybe I'll get a few lps tomorrow and sps on friday. :hmm3: Just kidding. Since I've already cycled, on Saturday, (my lights will be installed by then) I will hopefully stop by my lfs and get a pair of ocellaris clownfish, a cleaner shrimp, and some more emerald crabs. I'll start adding more livestock at least 2 weeks after that. I'm thinking about adding a flame angel, a small blue tang (uh-oh here come the tang police), and possibly a blue linkia or sand-sifting star. Then, I'll worry about some soft corals. I would like to add a frogspawn, some zoanthids, and anemone in the future to begin with.

Cool, you're at a good age to get into this, wish you luck!

Blue linkia's don't fare well in general and definitely not in a new system. Sand sifting star I think will be fine. The corals seem fine too; conventional wisdom says anemone is best left until the tank has matured.

Everyone wants a pair of clowns and they are cool. They are also a kind of damsel and can be quite aggressive. If you're adding a blue tang at some point, I'd add him first, then the flame angel. If you're after the anemone to host clown, take a look at other corals that clowns host first as some work just as well and are easier to keep. Clowns don't need a host, but its cool to see the behaviour. My advice would be to add them last not first. My clowns host a giant elegance coral and ignore my RBTA.

Read up on here, and good luck! There are a lot of different ways to be successful

you mentioned setting up a qt. i hope you realize that even your first fish should spend time in qt if you want to keep your display tank disease-free.

and if you want to keep your tank stress-free, forget about tangs.

Back