150 gallon Softie Dominated reef

i agree with you on the coral warfare!!! ive had tanks in the past with this issue. thats why im sticking to softy, few lps and even less sps. i tore my tank down to put a foam wall in it and an overflow box. i have a skimmer lights pumps of sorts as my list of "gadgets" im simple too! i will admit tho a friend local has a used acjr he wants to sell me for 150 with a temp probe ph probe dc8 and a few other things, so i might pick it up to do away with some of my timers and this time im putting an ATO system on.

:)

if you dont mind me asking where did you get the seafans and gorgarians?? i can never mind nice colonies like that

A few of the LFS around here get them in from time to time and they're usually pretty cheap for the size they are. There are 6 different ones in there right now, but I may be down to 5 soon enough. One of them doesn't look too good but the others are very happy.

i agree with you on the coral warfare!!! ive had tanks in the past with this issue. thats why im sticking to softy, few lps and even less sps. i tore my tank down to put a foam wall in it and an overflow box. i have a skimmer lights pumps of sorts as my list of "gadgets" im simple too! i will admit tho a friend local has a used acjr he wants to sell me for 150 with a temp probe ph probe dc8 and a few other things, so i might pick it up to do away with some of my timers and this time im putting an ATO system on.

:)

An ACJR or some other controller would be nice IMO - but I look at it as something to make you a little more lax in basic, daily routines although I do like what they can do for you.

Looks good to me - scaping is nice and open and the corals are large. I wish I could keep that many fish.

Thanks SDguy!

It was my one of my original plans to go with a Caribbean bio-tope but my wife wanted clowns... and I wanted the Lieutenant... Then there were the few SPS corals I have... and then my ideas were thrown out the window.

I don't know. Haven't been able to figure it out either. Seems nature just kind of takes over in my systems and only allows a certain level of fish load or something... Kind of like how some folks just can't keep certain types of corals no matter what, I can't keep fish...

I started ensuring that i QT every single fish i get no matter how small before i add them to my system. that makes a big difference

Yes - I agree 10000000000%.

Every single fish I have spent it's time going through a proper QT. The mated pair of maroons I have actually came from a hobbyist that was getting out. She had the pair for over 5 years and I still QT'd them.

Well, I can't really say that. Since I've gotten strict with QT, I haven't had any losses.

It's OK though. Although it's a 150 gallon tank, the footprint is small. The tang by itself pushes territory issues as it is. Everyone's happy and gets along quite well. I'm not going to push it anymore than what it is.

Really enjoyable tank. I've always wanted to Caribbean biotope myself. Your tank is quite inspirational despite the technicalities. Besides with all the invasive species popping up these days it might be closer than what we think. Just add a Volitan Lionfish to make it truly authentic!

Back