150 mh HQI Over 14g BC

fishsince3

Just to confirm my thoughts, a 150w mh HQI with 24w of supplemental t5HO actinics isn't over kill on my 14g BC especially if I move my low light corals lower in the tank right? I ask because I just found an incredible deal on this particular light.

Not overkill at all. It just depends what you are doing.
Even with just all LPS and such, you will still see a turn for the better, even if it isnt "needed".

Just be EXTREMELY careful when using the light.

1) You can and will burn corals that are not used to that much light. So you must go on a new light schedule not to burn the corals already in the tank. I would recommend moving everything that's not mounted to LR, to the bottom of the tank for at least 7 days.

2) Adding a significant amount of light can also cause an algae bloom.

I would start out with 1-2 hours for 3 days, 2-3 hours for 3 days, 4-5 hours for 3 days, etc. etc. until you reach your desired amount of normal running time.

Not too much light at all, but as iFisch said, acclimate your current tank to the new more intense light... if you can utilize some eggcrate, raise the fixture, shorten the photo period.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15424474#post15424474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hebygb
you can utilize some eggcrate, raise the fixture, shorten the photo period.

+1, +1, +1, if possible.

The place that had the deal didn't have 70w ballast available bit I can also put a smaller bulb in a bigger wattage ballast right?

Back