16 years later - time to return to the madness!!

blstravler

I joined ReefCentral July 7th 2003. If memory serves me right I started off with a 75 Gal and by 2009 I had a 180 all SPS tank. Then in 2009 my wife and decided to build a house and I knew I couldn’t keep the tank - so away it went. That was roughly 10 years to the day. So the house is built and I now have a 5y/o son and two dogs. I never thought about getting back into the hobby. Then my son saw an episode of Daniel Tiger and Peppa Pig and they both had goldfish. So he asked for a gold fish. So welcome to the house Ginger and Goldie in there little 5 gal tank that became a 10 gallon tank very quickly.

Then my wife said the words... “I miss ‘the’ Tank.” After some serious thought - it’s not like the hobby doesn’t take up a lot for time - We figured out a spot for the tank in the house which wasn’t easy. The house we built isn’t huge but it’s exactly what we wanted.

So here I am - researching start again and I’m shocked at how much it has changed. The automation that has come into the hobby is one of the reasons I was okay with coming back. I used to use all MH lighting (3x400s) and VHO mixed in and all where on timers. I was shocked to see the move to LED and the associated Wi-Fi capabilities. Not to mention how much Neptune/Apex has advanced. Assuming with the LED I won’t need a chiller. Ok blah, blah, blah I could go on for a while about the past and what I’ve seen online so here are my first questions if you have the time.... oh and to answer the budget question - I know this isn’t an inexpensive hobby so I know I’m spending many thousands. My plan is to try and save a little on some used equipment but will probably flip for a new tank. As far as what I want in the tank - all SPS.

So first to questions/thoughts..

Tank - I have a space that is roughly 5 foot long so I’ll probably go with something around 48in long so I have some room on each side. I’ve read about Waterbox and Red Sea - they seem to be very similar and I like the concept of getting the tank, stand, sump and lights in one package- thoughts? Are there any other manufacturers I should look at? I’m located in NJ if that helps.

Neptune/Apex controller - looks like they are the clear choice but how much will it help with water quality management - I used to use a calcium reactor but I remember always having to adjust it. I’ve spent some time reading on dosing - seems Triton is the ‘hot’ thing right now - is there advantages to one or the other using an Apex? I saw they have there own dosing pumps? I have the same question for in tank water movement - seems Tunze is still in the game heavily and the Gyre pumps look like a good option - however looks like Neptune makes their wave pumps - thoughts?

Also if the terms I am using are out of date - feel free to correct me lol.

These where some of the last pics of my tank...

348C2175-8182-40C0-8F9D-880958F3CF83_zpsxtjuhbr5.jpg

C309E3CE-E0ED-4086-9993-B2BC70F667C4_zpsuhrgt56g.jpg

08C8F3A7-03AD-46EB-B4F7-2CC4DF65572D_zpsyks3p7ei.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome back. Cant really comment on your questions since I havent had experience with them before. Welcome back non the less.

Welcome back. I think the Triton method requires a certain amount of sump space and refugium? And trades the time/cost of doing water changes for a cost in testing/dosing. But if you go with an all-in-one you'll need to make sure their sump space is adequate. (Red Sea is well respected, others like their cadlights and what not).

I built a 5' long set up and do not have an apex. You can get a wi-fi surge outlet for like $30 bucks online to set up light schedules. So I'd say the Apex depends on how much coral you intend to have and how much more critical it will be to you to monitor water parameters. (I only have 2 LPS at the moment so dosing isn't that necessary for me that often).

An Apex is something you could always add later too as the demand increases for automation and schedules.

Back