160 gallon tank question

tom g

hello there I have a question about a 160 gallon tank a friend has .
dimensions are 6ft x 24 h x 20 w euro braced
starfire sides
so hes having problems selling the tank "¦.
tank is too big for me ...or the spot where I have my 90 ...48 x 24 x 18
he has offered me the tank at a great price , is it feaseable to be able to take tank apart and get it cut to a smaller size , prob could go 5 ft to give me a little more room "¦ but that would be max I could go "¦
is it worth it or not a sensible choice , I think I know the answer
that this would take too much work and cost would equal a new tank ordered to my specifications ..
just looking for ideas I tried to ask a tank builder on the weekend at a shop but he was too busy talking to a cust about gardening to answer my questions
thanks in advance
cheers
tom

I think I'd pass unless you had somewhere else that the tank would work without modification. Sounds like a nice tank, but buying a tank to tear it down to glass sheets, cutting large glass sheets, and completely rebuilding sounds pretty risky to me. Especially when you consider you already have a 90 gallon, so would only be gaining a foot in width of the tank after it's done.

Would be an interesting project, but also scary in my opinion. When I find myself stuck on if I should do something like this or not, I actually try to convince myself that it does make sense and write down the reasons why. Then I try to convince myself that it doesnt, and what other options there would be and write down the reasons as well. Then compare and see what makes more sense.

Help

Help

I think I know u are right .. lol it's prob better to just snag tank and make it fit but I'm not about to to put a 160 upstairs plus a 40 plus sump ...
Thanks for the sane voice
Cheers

tank

tank

today I got to speak to a tank builder and just to get an answer that I wanted earlier .. I asked him if it was poss and his first response was shaking his head side to side .he said no . told me in his experience cutting glass after its been a few years old makes the glass brittle and u have a hard time getting cuts without the glass cracking .he also said that the glass has a hard time getting silicone to stick . to used glass...
cheers
tom

Back