180 Build

yalpal

Not sure if this is in the right place to post this, but since I live in the San Fernando Valley I figured this was appropriate. Anyway I've been on this site for a little while now only following so I figured it was time to start participating in the community and post something. I regretted not documenting my previous tank, so I am going to do it this time around. My current tank is a 28 JBJ nanocube, I've wanted to get a big tank for a long time, and I am finally doing it! I placed an order last week for a eurobraced 180 gallon (72x24x24) tank with a built in central overflow, and a custom oak stand and canopy. I'll be using a 60 gallon sump, 3/4" sea swirls (2 to start with, I'll add 2 more down the road), and it will also be plumbed for a closed loop. Still figuring out the lighting probably going to start with T-5s, and not sure about what I am going to do for my skimmer yet. If you guys have any suggestions please share them. I have been reading up on a lot of tanks and builds on this site and others for a while, and I keep learning a lot from all of you... Wow that was a lot longer than I was expecting. Thanks in advance for all the help, I'll be updating along the way!

-Jordan

Hi Jordan, welcome to RC! Looks like you'll have a nice big upgrade with this new build. I also have a Euro-braced 180 gal, and have the 6' 8x80W Tek Light fixture (ATI was too expensive for me, and I don't know much about LEDs still). What type of corals do you plan to keep?

Thanks! I currently have mostly LPS but would like to eventually get into some SPS. What do you think? Do you have a tank thread?

I'll be putting up pictures throughout the process. I should be getting it in two weeks...So I'll put them up as soon as it arrives!

where did you order the tank at and around how much did it cost you? i'm looking to upgrade too

where did you order the tank at and around how much did it cost you? i'm looking to upgrade too

I ordered it from my LFS.. I did a lot of searching to see if I could find something used, but decided I would rather customize my own tank after I couldn't find a tank that fit what I wanted. The price ranges depending on what you want, and honestly I am still not 100% sure how much the entire tank, stand, and canopy will be (I only placed a deposit so far). The price depended on how many holes I wanted drilled, type of overflow box, painting the back, and eurobracing (Starphire would have been much more expensive). I believe the final price is between $600-700 for the tank itself, but if I didn't drill it and got a simple glass tank it would have been a lot cheaper. I'll let you know a definite price once I have to pay for it. What are you upgrading from?

Last edited:
Im actually trying to upgrade from a 20 gallon, not anytime soon though. i want to finish school before i do make the big move. looking for something like a 6x2x2 or 6x2x2.5 wide. i dont think i wanna go sapphire just because i heard it scratches easier and as for holes i can drill myself. hope your tank comes soon, im waiting for pics =)

Last edited:
Thanks! I currently have mostly LPS but would like to eventually get into some SPS. What do you think? Do you have a tank thread?

I don't have a tank thread, but I have mainly LPS, softies/zoas, a few clams, and a few hardy SPS.

@mykol: I found the best quotes for Lee-Mar tanks from Tom at Socal Tropical Fish, or Ali at Age of Aquariums.

Im actually trying to upgrade from a 20 gallon, not anytime soon though. i want to finish school before i do make the big move. looking for something like a 6x2x2 or 6x2x2.5 wide. i dont think i wanna go sapphire just because i heard it scratches easier and as for holes i can drill myself. hope your tank comes soon, im waiting for pics =)
Thanks, I cant wait. I was originally looking at a 6x2x1.5 but decided I could to a lot with that extra space.

@aleonn: Sounds like what I am trying to do... I'm sure I'll be asking some questions throughout my build

Be sure to check out reef a palooza this year, its a good place to get coral for your new set up! As for a skimmer, you have lots of options, it really depends on your budget. Whats the budget for your skimmer?

Be sure to check out reef a palooza this year, its a good place to get coral for your new set up! As for a skimmer, you have lots of options, it really depends on your budget. Whats the budget for your skimmer?

I'm really trying to make it out there it sounds like it's going to be great! I still have a lot I need to purchase so I'm not going to go crazy with the skimmer. Do you think I'll be able to get something pretty good under $300? What do you think is the best bang for the buck? I've been doing research and there are some reasonably priced skimmers, I'm just not so sure on the quality.

you can try to go with a swc cone 160 its about 275 brand new. i heard they were pretty good

I was just looking at the SWC website and it says that it's only rated for 150 gallons with a light bioload. It seems like I would need to get something like the xtreme 200, it doesn't cost much more but it takes up a lot more room. Have you heard anything about those?

im not too sure about how their normal skimmers perform but i've only heard good stuff about their cones. if the 160 doesnt cut it for you then maybe the 180 lol but there's a bigger price tag on that.... 375 ish?

I live in sylmar myself. As far as skimmers I have a modded asm g3 on my tank. Pulls all kinds of nasty stuff outta the tank. The best part is they are semi cheap. Sometimes you can find good deals on the used section on here (once you hit 50 posts).

Back