180 gallon sump

nivenethan

I am designing a simple 180 gallon sump for a 300 gallon reef. I have a few questions that are noted in the picture below.

I need about 3000 gph flow through. I will be running 2 Snapper at about 1500 gph each. This is just a sump...the refugium will be a stand alone.

1. How many inches between weirs?
2. How many inches off the bottom should the weirs be?
3. How high should the weir in the Drain section be?
4. How high should the weir in the Return section be?

One additional question would be...where to put the float switch of top off? Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks! Darren

180galsumpdesign.jpg
[/IMG]

Re: 180 gallon sump

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139067#post14139067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nivenethan

1. How many inches between weirs?
2. How many inches off the bottom should the weirs be?
3. How high should the weir in the Drain section be?
4. How high should the weir in the Return section be?

One additional question would be...where to put the float switch of top off? Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks! Darren

1. With that much flow, 3".
2. Same, 3"
3. However high you need the water level in that compartment for whatever is going in that compartment.
4. The weir height in the return section controls the depth of the water in the center section. So you would make the top of it however deep you want the center section.

ATO Float - in the return pump section, thats where the evaporation is going to show up as low water level. All the other water levels in the system will stay stable other than the return pump section.

Would you recommend making the drain section the skimmer section also....if that is the case then I should probably widen that area to 24" or so depending on the width of a skimmer base.

Back