180g Fish for SPS/Clam dominated tank

THP

I have a few fish in mind and wanted to run this by to see what opinions anyone has. I'm not new to the hobby and have succesfully kept various fish for years and years. Some fish I have in mind:

- 1 PB Tang - definite must!!
- 1 Emp Angel - would be very nice
- sm school 7-8 fsh of something, Anthias maybe? chromis?
- 1 six-line wrass - for pyramids if he even does any help - cool looking fish though

- Last but not least - 1, Moorish Idol. No need to hammer this thread cause of this fish. I'll be trying one out after reading everything/anything I can/have had my hands/eyes on including the RC thread on here.

Please provide your feedback, too much fish? Compatibility issues? Emperor Angel will inhale my clams and destroy my SPS? or he will destroy the other fish?

- Pb tang, sure. sounds fine

- Emp Angel, from waht iv read they are ok with SPS but will nip/eat most other sessile inverts. including clams.

- Anthias/chromis, i'd say go for the anthias, much prettier than chromis. though more expensive as well. my fav anthias is the lyretail. :)

- 6line, perfect. great reef fish.

- Moorish Idol, youve done all the research. personally i think they should be left on the reef, but if you think you can do it, then do it.

one you may not have thought of, Scribbled rabbitfish. very pretty fish totally reef safe. they get about 11inches (some sites say 9, others 15, most say 11) im def getting one when i can finally set up a big tank.

Powder Blue - Only buy one from the maldives. You're setting yourself up for failure otherwise. Liveaquaria is a good place for Maldive Island caught Powder Blues, I got mine there and he's doing fantastic.

Emperor Angel - Not generally compatible with clams... of course you're going to have a handful of people says "Well I've had mine with "x amount of clams" for "x amount of time", but this is really the norm. Just keep that in mind when you are introducing the fish.

Anthias/Chromis- From what I've seen they just kill each other off eventually. Anthias also need to be fed multiple times a day.

Sixline Wrasse- Great fish, but he will not allow you to add any other wrasse to the tank. I've got 1 in my 90 gallon I've had almost 2 years and he's an awesome fish though.

Moorish Idol - IMO leave em in the ocean. It's all up to you though.

FWIW I just took my Emp Angel out of my 180 reef. The nipping got bad as the adult colors took over. For the most part you'll really have to limit your coral selection. I love the fish and now I can't part with it. I'm upgrading my sump to a 300 gallon tub to keep the Angel in the basement.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190653#post14190653 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amoore311
Powder Blue - Only buy one from the maldives. You're setting yourself up for failure otherwise. Liveaquaria is a good place for Maldive Island caught Powder Blues, I got mine there and he's doing fantastic.

Emperor Angel - Not generally compatible with clams... of course you're going to have a handful of people says "Well I've had mine with "x amount of clams" for "x amount of time", but this is really the norm. Just keep that in mind when you are introducing the fish.

Anthias/Chromis- From what I've seen they just kill each other off eventually. Anthias also need to be fed multiple times a day.

Sixline Wrasse- Great fish, but he will not allow you to add any other wrasse to the tank. I've got 1 in my 90 gallon I've had almost 2 years and he's an awesome fish though.

My sentiments as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14196215#post14196215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bosborn1
I'm upgrading my sump to a 300 gallon tub to keep the Angel in the basement.
Love it... thats my kinda sump! :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14198551#post14198551 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by streetjudge79
If you get a pb tang , make him the last fish in the tank. He will harass your moorish Idol if the Idol goes in after him.

Very good point and yes, that is my intention. The planned order of introduction is

- Anthias or Chromis first
- Six-Line
- Moorish Idol
- PB Tang + Emp Angel if, I opt for the Angel....looking like not as I really like clams

Anyone have experience with a long-nose yellow butterfly? Thats another I've liked for a long long time.

I have heard similar stories about Anthias and Chromis killing each other off. Seems pointless then if thats whats going to happen. What options exist for a small typed schooling fish that would remain a school? I would like something that remains small enough for a school of 5-7 in the 180g. I prefer the look of Anthias but thought chromis would be simple however, if they are going to kill each other and I'm left with a single fish then I'd rather not bother.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190653#post14190653 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amoore311

I like scissortail gobies. You can have a group of 5-6 of them. They are cool looking and relatively inexpensive.

Hmmm, how about fire gobies - or are they too agressive amongst each other?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14238851#post14238851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeferstace
I like scissortail gobies. You can have a group of 5-6 of them. They are cool looking and relatively inexpensive.

if you mean firefish they wont necessarily school from what i hear there is a type of cardinal fish that will school in aquariums, for the life of me i cant think of the name of it though...glass cardinal maybe? im sure someone on here will chime in with the name of it and probably a pic as well sooner or later

Back