1st Flood......well that sucked

afamousjohnson

Just Keep Swimming
Had my 1st flood out of nowhere last night. Would have been fine if it was just a flood because I caught it after about maybe a couple gallons of water. But I had been taking pics of the frag tank so I had the leds sitting on the tank rim. I turned back on the pumps and went outside for a minute. When I did that it must've knocked out my siphon (never had a problem before?)
I come back inside and see only blue on the tank (run blue and white) and more so only maybe 2 blues. Run up to the tank and not only is it overflowing but my entire led fixture is in the water. What the duce. I shut down the light and go straight for working on the led fixture to dry it out. After letting it sit over night I plugged it back in this morning and at first a couple kicked on followed shortly by all leds on-go rapid led.
Im thinkin sweet so I put it back on the tank.....and to my surprise it looks like a bomb went off in there. I dont know if it was stray voltage or something leaching from the fixture into the water but holy crap. I'll get some pics here in a bit. Soooooooo lame. Did a quick 5g wc out of the frag tank and added more to the carbon that was already running on that tank. It is tied into the display but I haven't noticed any problems yet in the display and I had better not.lol
Oh what a morning.phsshhh
 

Wills612

Active member
1st Flood......well that sucked

Man that's sucks. Least you saved your fixture. What type of drain are you using.
 

HV1990

New member
Your first disaster is like when you buy a new car and you get the first scratch. After you get the first one in your golden.....well atleast for a while.
 

afamousjohnson

Just Keep Swimming
Man that's sucks. Least you saved your fixture. What type of drain are you using.
Ya its crazy at least the 2nd maybe 3rd time that fixture has had all the leds and wiring completely under water and still works (diy rapid strip). A frag here and there to replace is nothing now on the other hand a fixture...well that sucks-especially the fixture that keeps all your frags alive so im stoked on that one.
Its a simple FT setup with a drilled 20g next to my display fed off of a T on my return and draining back to the sump. It was a fluke of events because I have done the same process multiple times with turning off pumps to the FT to take top down photos and turning back on when im done. The part that confuses me tho is I don't shut down the water feed to the tank when taking pics so the siphon is already constant-confusing. Just glad I caught it.
lost maybe 4-6 frags with another 4-5 taking on a bleached look and a handful others that tho looked ****ed off look fine.
What do you guys think the stress factor was here?? Could the frying out electric in the water wipe out these corals or do you think that reaction leached something or leached off 5he fixture into the water and wiped um out?
 
Top