2.5g Needs overflow design...

soulja221

Hey gang, i've got a 2.5g tank setup and i want to setup a 5g sump for it. The tank isnt drilled so i want to find or make an overflow for it, any help or ideas or has anyone done this already who can help me out???

there was a post last sumer in the DIY forum where alot of nano owner use CD holders, with comb/teeth cut-out with a Dremel. try the "search" and see if its still in there.
or you might try the "nano" forum. surely one of them would have it. good luck and REEF-ON!!!
JDM :cool:

If the sump is below the tank, you will need some kind of overflow box or PVC pipe overflow. That will assure, that the top tank will not drain in the lower tank.
If the sump is behind the main tank, same water level - than U-tube (or J-tube) will be enough, plus tubing from the return pump. I'm using this system for a months, not bad.

the sump will be about 2 foot below the tank. any idea where i can get a pvc pipe overflow or a box??

You're gonna be better off drilling that tank - Overflow box is going to take up too much space in a 2.5g. Go over to nano-reef.com and search on a user named distantfire - He's done some awesome work with 2.5g setups running to sumps

I couldn't find any threads but here's a link to his photo gallery that shows a little of what he's done.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10491800#post10491800 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by soulja221
the sump will be about 2 foot below the tank. any idea where i can get a pvc pipe overflow or a box??
Overflow box - in LFS or in pet supplies, I got mine on Ebay, didn't connected yet.
PVC overflow is DIY, if not much space behind the tank, link
Drilled tank would be the best, as I had heard from many people.

IMO, both the overflow box (utube) and PVC overflow would be to big in a 2.5g -

I tried the PVC variation made out of 3/4" for a 5g application - It was a different design though (3reef.com) -

I don't think it (the design) works as well with smaller diameter pipe. I think it needs 1" at least in order to flow properly.

yeah, from everything i've read, this design is almost impossible and the tank glass is almost too thin to drill. I think im going to start designing an acyrlic tank and do it all diy style...i've run into too many limitations so far lol. thanks for the help

Back