2 Eheim vs Mag Drive 24 Water Pump

bcheriyan

Aqua99
I have a 225 Gallon 6 foot tank from DSA . I currently have 1 Mag Drive 24 Water Pump which takes 265 watts . Where as the Eheim 1262 takes only 80 watts even if I put two of then for each return I am looking at 160W. I this good choice ? I like to here all of your thought .
Thank you all

Last edited:
I'm using a single Mag 18. I know they're reliable, but I still have this fear of it dying while I'm away and leaving me in a bad spot. I would like to go with two pumps for redundancy someday.

Without looking up the pumps from my phone, will those pumps put out the flow you want with head loss? Are you trying to save on costs? What will be the cost of the change and how long until the savings pay for it?

I am more worried about the electric bill 265W vs 160W for 2 Eheim 1262 . Also currently Mag 24 is connected to both the returns and only the Closest one return get most of the water flow . Also I get redundancy when two of them added. But the initial cost is more is it worth the Change ?

If your looking for space savings as well, look into the Eheim Compact 5000 pumps to fit your needs. The pump consumes 78 watts, delivers 660 - 1320 gph with a head height of 9'8", has a small footprint (5.4x3.2x5.0) and much stronger than the Eheim 1262. I use the Eheim Compact 5000 and I dial it down. Either way, the prices of both pumps in Premium Aquatics are not too far from each other, very reliable pumps and extremely quiet. Hope that helps...

two Ehiems would be my suggestion. Not only will you save electricity over time, you will be putting alot less heat in your tank with the ehiem pumps(you're in Texas heat is always a concern), you will be able to better spread your return flow, much quieter and will gain redundancy safe net using two pumps. The only down side I see is the initial investment in buying two new pumps.

Fluval Sea pumps use the Askoll motor which is also used in very high end pumps like the ATB Flowstar and the Red Dragon. Pretty well known for putting out crazy GPH with minimal wattage and virtually no heat.

As long as the pump will only be used as a return pump and don't have more than 5 ft of head loss a single Eheim 1262 would be enough. A local reefer in my area had one on a 8ft 240 gal tank and it was plenty. You would need additional flow such as a CL or circulation pumps

Thx for all the suggestion, Eheim 1262 or Eheim 5000 would be my first choice , Fluval Sea looks good but does any one have more experience with Fluval Sea. Also in my 225 Gallon tank what the flow through the Sump need to be ? Like azjohnny suggested Do i need only one Eheim 1262. Or two is a question.vertical height is not more than 5 feet. I can use addational Hydros to get more flow ?

solitude127 fluval sea pump looks like a good . How reliable is that ? Thx

Fluval Sea pumps use the Askoll motor which is also used in very high end pumps like the ATB Flowstar and the Red Dragon. Pretty well known for putting out crazy GPH with minimal wattage and virtually no heat.

Very reliable :) I would put it out there that askol based pumps are as reliable as mag pumps with much less wattage draw

If one is going submersible, I always recommend Sicce to my friends. MagDrive's are noisy and generate a lot of heat while using lots of electricity. An old, outdated design IMO. Assuming you are not pumping up from a basement sump, a Sicce 5 will give you plenty of tanks/sump turnover while only consuming 100 watts or so.

I figured I need 1200 GPH . But I still what to go with two pumps with that in mind two Eheim 3000 or two Eheim 1250 or two ~ $330 for Eheim and for 2 Fluval Sea SP2 which is ~$290 which One would you got with ? @ 5feet which ones deliver best value ?

I have two pumps for returns, one that barely pumps the water up and the other that just screams water up, so I can pick which kind of flow I want at the moment. Having two eheims would work great or even the two fluval pumps that were previously posted.

my vote is for eheim(s). They will last forever. I have one that I got used in the late 1980's. It gets cleaned maybe once a year. I've had to replace the impeller once or maybe twice. Dead silent as well.

Back