2 Euphyllia with brown jelly

phillrodrigo

At this years ffm I bought 1 very awesome hammer its purple and teal most.of the tips were purple but a few on 1 heads they were green. The other was a green torch half of the tips are orange the others are pink or purple. It all started when the torch fell a few inches into my frogspawn. One head started to die. All of a sudden it got brown jelly and that head is dead with brown jelly. The purple and teal on was looking a little deflated. Thought it may be getting to much flow. I put my hand in front of it didnt seem that it was.but just incase I turned my wp25 down some. Of course its the one cool head that had the green tips on it that is melting away. The middle one doesnt look so good either. I just dipped them both in seachems reef dip coral disinfectant. Everyrhing else is doing fine. It makes me so angry thats $140 down the drain.

It was me. It started with the one then the second one started. Wasnt worried at first thought it was from falling into the forgspawn but that may just be coincidence. I have a total of 9 Euphyllia in my tank. Only those 2 are having issues

I dipped them in some coral disinfectant. I would like to cut the dead heads off but Im not sure if I have any thing that will cut them off

I just posted recently that I discovered BJD in my tank. My Duncan that I purchased almost a year ago when I started my tank was the first. It was a $10 frag from PC, single head. It grew to 9 heads. For about 1 and 1/2 weeks the Duncan was mostly closed up but I didn't think much of it due to the fact that I couldn't see anything wrong. I did notice some brownish-green algae looking stuff hanging around the back of the coral. But because I still have a lot to learn I didn't handle the situation well enough. At first I blew the stuff off the coral. now I know that's a BIG NO-NO! Too late, done. Then I just happened to look at the back side of the coral and there I saw one head completely gone right down to the skeleton and another in the process of being eaten. UGH! That's when I posted here and it was suggested it was BJD. Started doing my research and verified that it is BJD. This is bad a** stuff and can clear out a tank. I took the Duncan out, cut away the damage head and dipped it. Put it back in the tank. It just started oozing the jelly again, tried to cut more away and still more jelly. At the same time some of my other corals have been closing up so at this point I had to pull the Duncan out. Could not be saved. That hurt!:mad:
I bought Seachem Reef dip coral disinfectant and dipped the corals that started closing. I have not gotten a positive response as of yet, but I wait patiently and hope. In the meantime I noticed some jelly on one of my Zoas.(did not dip the Zoas until now, the corals I dipped are closed but no jelly as of yet. I fear the worst but want to remain hopeful that I won't lose all my coral.
I can't say for sure how this started in my tank.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Yeah, I posted as well about two weeks before FFM. Hit my frogspawn. I did some cutting and lost about 10 heads but it finally stopped. Wonder what's going on.

Research brings up two things, bacteria and damaged/stressed coral can result in the disease.

Found this from a guru:

It's a bacteriological pathogen carried into your system. Quarantine and prophylactic treatment with a dip will usually prevent transmission into a healthy system. It usually is problematic only when there is insufficient current with a particular placement or in specimens that have cuts through the polyp tissue (due to shipping mishandling forcing the tissue against the septa in the heads). As this may be an issue with a particular shipper, quarantine would be a smart move prior to placement of the specimen. Look for specimens from another source, or from someone's system with healthy Euphyllids. You may want to consider doing an iodine dip with your current specimens and performing an iodine bath for incoming new specimens. Quarantine is still indicated, even with specimens from tanks without any brown jelly disease. There are suggestions that BJD is an opportunistic conditiion in coraols with some initial damage to start with, so correct handling during a move will help9 reduce problems with these infections.

...thanks Tweaked. All info is good info at this point. Keeping an eye on my corals...so far no "jelly" seen this morning.

Also, I know my problem started before the FFM.

I hate to say where I am thinking it came from. Going to keep that to myself for now 'cuz I can't prove it. Suffice to say it's local.

I suspect it's opportunistic in my case. I've had this colony for many years and this occurred once before. I haven't added or traded in over a year. I have a perc clown that hosts in it and am guessing from time to time it damages the coral thus allowing infection.

Back