2 part epoxy paint?

apayne

Hi all,

I am trying to build a plywood and glass or acrylic tank and I am having a hard time finding a source for 2 part epoxy paint that is NSF61/USDA/ANSI approved for potable water.

What type do most people use and where do you get it from?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

After reading the add, it says it is about 65 - 72% solids. I thought we are trying to find 100% solids w/ no VOC's? So... is it OK to use any epoxy paint?
Has any one used this product w/ success?

Thanks,
Aaron

Well, I am not an epoxy paint expert, so I can give you any better answers....I do know that this is what dsandfort used on his wooden tank build, and others have followed suit....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14202419#post14202419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by apayne
After reading the add, it says it is about 65 - 72% solids. I thought we are trying to find 100% solids w/ no VOC's?

Maybe, but I always thought that the solids were powder mixed into the resin. If it was 100% solids it would be dry powder.

Update: Checked on the net. My statement above is probably wrong. Solids are probably the stuff that doesn't evaporate.

Last edited:
MAS?
Fat-tony, what is MAS.

Also, what about using fiberglass resin. The type I have says after curing it has 0% VOC.

Thanks,
Aaron

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14206493#post14206493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by apayne
MAS?
Fat-tony, what is MAS.

Also, what about using fiberglass resin. The type I have says after curing it has 0% VOC.

Thanks,
Aaron

danontank.jpg

I may be fat but I'm not Tony, but here is a link to MAS Epoxies:
http://www.masepoxies.com

I personally have used and like PalGard epoxy but it's not a DIY product. You have to have the right equipment to use it, and it is not normally sold retail over the counter.

Fiberglass resin is no good. I made an icebox once using fiberglass resin and all the food had to be thrown out. I recovered with epoxy and it was fine.

Aquatic Ecosystems has a good reputation for stocking the right product, send them a question if you are still not sure. You might be able to beat their price, but they have good product support.

There are thousands of fish hatchery tanks, fish fry tanks, fish rearing tanks and holding tanks in just this country alone coated with two part epoxy paint such as that sold by Aquatic Eco-Systems. Plus it is used widely by water treament plants for coating holding tanks/pools.

So one more question, Can any two part epoxy work, or MUST it be approved for potable water. I would think once it has cured, it would be inert, but I am not sure.

Thanks,
Aaron

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14210867#post14210867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by apayne
So one more question, Can any two part epoxy work, or MUST it be approved for potable water. I would think once it has cured, it would be inert, but I am not sure.

Thanks,
Aaron
If you are not sure it's inert, why would you use it when there are formulations that you can be sure of, since they are rated safe enough for people to store their drinking water in?

Also,
If I am using glass for the four sides, what about using a piece of 1/4" acrylic for the bottom and using silicone to bond it?

I would use a plywood bottom and 2" hard wood rim for the structural support, and the acrylic to make it water tight. I have read that acrylic will absorb some water and possibly expand, but how much? I would think this would be an ok solution, but... I am not positive.

Thanks,
Aaron

Well after some research, I found Mister Sticky's two part epoxy that claims it will bond acrylic to glass.

So I think I will use that and then silicone the joint to make sure it is water tight.

Aaron

Back