2-part vs Ca Reactor

sid700

Has there been a comparison between 2-part vs Ca Reactor? I'm interested in what's better for the corals and the maintenance costs. I'm also wondering if I'll be adding CO2 to the atmosphere w/ a Ca Reactor. Links to articles and/or discussions would be appreciated. TIA.

I think both are equally "good" for corals. Neither are really set-it and forget-it, as far as as corals grow they consume more. However there is the daily maintenance of having to physically dose it, so that part is a little more effort, however with the use of dosing pumps it literally becomes a non-issue, other than you periodically make up more 2-part than you have to replace CaC++ media

based on my experience I like the two part better. My Coral growth are amazing compare to the calcium reactor I had before. The only hard part is making the 2 part.. heheheh

To further add, what I've heard mind you as I don't run a Ca Reactor, some media can get phosphates leaching into your system where as with the 2-part this is a non-issue.

I've used 2 part for over almost 2 years and calcium reactor for the last 3 months. Both can achive the needed levels you need.

But what I do noticed is the buildup you get on your pumps with 2 part. I normally pull my sump every 3 months for cleaning/inspection. With 2 part I have to soak my pumps in vineger to loosen up the buildup around the impellers. Pulling my sump as I type today after 3 months with a calcium reactor and all I see is a like film on the impellers that wipe off.

There will be pros and cons with both...

Nuuze, how quickly do you dose your two part? I noticed that same thing too when I just poured it straight in, however when I did a slow "champagne" pour not so much of an issue anymore. And it was a significant issue too, something I would definitely notice.

When I poured in the sump area, build up was fast. Within a couple weeks fast. I think it's part "A" that causes the build up. Because I can see the builup in my sump since I was pouring in the same area for part "A" and another area for part "B".

So what I did was get a water bottle. Cut the bottom out and flip it upside down and drill a pin hole on the cap. That way when I left in the morning to work I can sort of dose into that bottle so part "A" can drip inth the sump. Then part "B" when I got home directly into the return nozzle of the tank. This did slow down the buildup of the impeller area of the pumps but did not stop. I did not realize the buildup until my tunze 6000 started to alarm and skimmer slowly skimmed less and less.

One thing if you use the bottle like I did is NOT to get any saltwater or part "B" in there or it will clog. Part "B" can go straight in without clouding.

two-part on a dosing system is a good investment. If your tank is at the point where demand forces you to compromise coral health, act quick because at that point you are riding a fine line already.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12854454#post12854454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nuuze
When I poured in the sump area, build up was fast. Within a couple weeks fast. I think it's part "A" that causes the build up. Because I can see the builup in my sump since I was pouring in the same area for part "A" and another area for part "B".

Oh. Now I know why my skimmer pumps are looking a tad weak.

I've been using 2-part because I occasionally find that Arm & Hammer and Prestone Driveway Heat onsale for $0.50 and $1 respectively. Most tanks I've seen are using the CA reactor, so I'm wondering if I should go that route.

Thanks guys. I'll just keep dosing 2-part, automate it and see how the frags grow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12854454#post12854454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nuuze
For me I think it was the alkalinity part (I'm not sure which part that happens to be since I made up my own stuff). One thing I did note though was the water was cloudy where it hit (precipitation?) that stuff got on the walls, pumps, every surface. So what I did is I halved the formula (twice as much water basically per "unit" of stuff) and simply dose twice as much, cloudiness issue and precipitation of stuff onto walls becomes a non-issue.

Back