2 part vs kalk

oldhead

The more I read the more 2 part seems to be a better option for stability. Maybe a little more expensive to start up. Anyone have any thoughts?

It's not that kalk is a less stable option, it's that the popular methods of dosing it are. Most people put it in their top off or in a reactor connected to their top off, so the amount dosed is inconsistent. Though, to be clear, it's not really a problem...

But, just like 2-part, you can dose Kalk via a dosing pump. And, in that way it is perfect. The only real advantage to 2 part is that the volume of the mixture is far less. For example, I have about a 7 gallon jug of Kalk water that I dose with a pump. It lasts me a little over a week. Whereas a 1/2 gallon of each calcium and alk 2-part mixtures would last me for at least a month.

That said, there are some "intangibles" that seem to be associated with Kalk... Many people claim to see higher rates of calcification for coralline algae, for example, and an overall "healthier" look to the tank. I don't have any opinion on that, but I can say that my mixed reef loves the stuff. It's also very low maintenance in the sense that you don't have to worry about measuring it out perfectly. You just need enough, or more, to saturate the water. Anything "left over" will dissolve next time you add water. A lot of people just add a huge amount of kalk to their container every couple months or so, and just top off the water in it on a regular basis.

Remember that with 2 part, you don't dose the amounts of each separately... The "2" part of 2-part really only refers to the fact that you use two different chemicals, not that you dose them independently. You always dose equal parts calc and alk.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be any difference, as far as stability.

Dosing kalk has pH benefits, and it doesn't add salt over time.

Dosing with two-part takes way less volume.

Kalkwassrer:

PROS: Easy to mix and can be used in an automatic top-off system. Can raise system PH.
CONS: Can raise system PH; limited by the maximum saturation in water (I think that is 2 tsp/gallon)

2-Part:

PROS: Can generally handle higher demand easier (less volume)
CONS: Assuming you have an ATO, needs additional dosers. Can raise salinity in the long term.

Basically I think there is a pretty logical path from Kalk>2-part, starting with manual addition, then ATO, then two-part. You could dose Kalk with a separate doser, and not an ATO, but then you are just using higher volumes and wearing out pumps etc... It will depend on your evaporation and coral demands versus the maximum saturation of kalk when you make the switch.

I was under the impression per randy Holmes Farley that kalk will only raise the PH a very minor amount no matter how much you put in there. After the pH raises to a certain point all the calcium parcipitates out and cannot affect the pH anymore.

I’ve had a few big kalk overdoses, nothing was ever harmed.

Kalk can raise pH quite a bit. Every molecule has two OH, and the solution has a pH of over 12. The OH (proton acceptor) takes CO2 out of the water.

It should be dripped in. Or in my case, I pump it in for a couple minutes every hour.

You are right in that if pH in our tanks gets above about 8.5, the calcium and carbonate (alk) combine and drop out of solution. This drops Ca, alk, and pH.

^ what @Indiana reefer said. To me 2-part was an expensive pita.

Any skimmer will level kalk's pH by mixing CO2 into the water.

i used kalk for a year, until coral demands outgrew it.

i started 2 part (with a doser) 1 month ago, and i can't be more happy.

with my current demands and dosing container, i can dose 2 months without mixing anymore.

compared to kalk i usually mix a new batch every 10-14 days, which now seems such a pita compared to 2 part.

if i could go back in time, i'd start off with 2 part and pass on the kalk.

Back