20 Gal Finnex M coral placement question

madequity

Decided to post here since it's a coral question for a nano tank :)

First off I apologize to all for what is a horrible picture of my 20 gal Finnex M-Tank. My poor photography skills combined with a photo size limit in my member gllery of 50k provides for a bad combination! As an aside if anyone has suggestions for how to shoot some decent photos with my Kodak Easyshare DX6490 that would be great. Anyway tank has small tunze skimmer in rear chamber along with small refugium holding chaeto and a small bag of phosban and carbon. Weekly water changes is all I ever do with replacement of phosban and carbon once per month and bulbs once every 6 months.

I am seeking somehelp on what coral to best place in the spot marked with the red arrow in the photo.

As you may not be able to tell I built my rock structure with tonga branch held together with Aquastick. The idea was to build the reef "forward" so to speak so that there would be as many nooks and crannies in the sides and rear as in the front (as opposed to a rock wall where everyhting is in front).

I am more than happy with how it turned out as from all angles I have corals that have broke off from the herd and floated to a new spot including Xenia on the sides along with anthelia on the front glass and various mushrooms and ricordia throghout.

Anyway long story short I am struggling with what I should put in the shaded area. My lighting for the 20 gallon is 1 X 150w 20k halide and 2-18w actinics. That said the shaded spot is truly shaded and receives if I was to guess maybe 20% of the total light as it is shaded not only by the rock overhang but the large sarcophyton above as well. Not to mention flow here tends to be very slow as well.

Thoughts on what coral would do best here. I was thinking an orange sunflower but I know they tend to be tempermental and really don't want to have to feed with a pipette since the location is tough?
114285untitled.JPG

Tank looks awesome dude, my next small tank will be a Finnex. Coral wise I would think you might want to put some moreshrooms or other softy cause of the minimal light.

Try some GSP, and if I were you, I would switch the bulb to 14k, I think that your tank is too blue and you might get more vibrant and diffrent colors if you switched the bulb to 14k. Corals wise, GSP, mushrooms, stuff liket that. Is that a huge leather in the middle of your tank.

Thanks for the advice. In terms of GSP they are all over the back wall behind the leather and yes that is a large leather (sarcophyton) that I got and has doubled in size. So as for GSP or mushrooms I really feel the area in question does not have sufficient light. As for the 14k over the 20k it is simply the picture distortion as in person it is very vibrabt with only a hint of blue. As I mentioned I am horrible at the pics with the camera.

Appreciate the comments!

GSP's.....

GSP's.....

As a follow up it's not that I don't love GSP's but as you can tell but this zoom photo behind the leather they are going nuts having grown at least 6 inches up the wall toward the light so I think GSP's in the shaded area in question would suffer from lack of light.
114285Picture_010.jpg

Back