20 years Experience first time doing Marine. Advice on stock

ahfu25

Wassup everyone!! My first post and already a few questions lol.......OK so I've done a ton of research on maintanence and the up keeping of a nano tank and cycling the tank. Just need advice on what other equipement I need and how to stock it properly. Went to my lfs and picked up a Fluval Spec 5, Purigen to replace the carbon that comes with the spec 5, 10 pounds of Caribsea live sand (gonna use 5 only) IO salt, prime and a koralia 240. When I start the cycle (waiting for my stand to arrive) I will pick up about 5 pounds of live rock. I was thinking doing a fowlr with one clown fish. Im new to saltwater so any advice on a low cost light fixture would be greatly appreciated, I read that the light fixture Included is not strong enough for corals. Also your advice on how I should stock it...would love to add some coral if possible. Something hardy that's good for begginers......Thanks everyone!!

Last edited:
I DIY'd lights for my spec's before I took them down. LEDs from RapidLED and drivers, powersupply, and an Arduino controller. In the end I wish I had bought a fixture. My LEDs were great and had way more than enough output, but for an extra $100 I could have bought a Nano Box mini tide. If/when I set up one of my specs again as a desktop coral only tank I'll buy one of those.

As far as corals good places to start would be a mushrooms and zoas. Once you have those alive and happily growing you can start to play with lps/sps, and in the meantime you can read all about different types of tanks and all the various theories on how to be successful caring for them.

You can do a completely beautiful reef using only soft corals. Polyps, mushrooms, kenya tree, leathers, xenia, anthelia. Put them all together and let them grow and you'll have a gorgeous low maintenance tank with movement and color.

reef-2-29-12.jpg

Last edited:
I DIY'd lights for my spec's before I took them down. LEDs from RapidLED and drivers, powersupply, and an Arduino controller. In the end I wish I had bought a fixture. My LEDs were great and had way more than enough output, but for an extra $100 I could have bought a Nano Box mini tide. If/when I set up one of my specs again as a desktop coral only tank I'll buy one of those.

As far as corals good places to start would be a mushrooms and zoas. Once you have those alive and happily growing you can start to play with lps/sps, and in the meantime you can read all about different types of tanks and all the various theories on how to be successful caring for them.

Wow those led's run at about 200 for the cheapest...don't want to break the bank here but thank you.

You can do a completely beautiful reef using only soft corals. Polyps, mushrooms, kenya tree, leathers, xenia, anthelia. Put them all together and let them grow and you'll have a gorgeous low maintenance tank with movement and color.

reef-2-29-12.jpg

Wow beautiful set up....thanx

Back