20g enough to treat 6 fish w/ick?

Dustin_p

I QT'ed my new addition but I noticed last week that I have contracted Ick in my 75 Reef. None of the original fish show any signs of Ick but the new addition has been scratching on the rocks and has a salt speck every now and then. The fish are: 4.5" Foxface, 4" Yellow Tang, Two occelaris clown's, SixLine, 2.5" Damsel.

First thing - Is it too aggressive to treat ick so soon? I'm about 99% sure he has ick. I would rather treat for it now while everybody's healthy and eating good than let it get worse and risk loosing fish.

Second - What is the best method? Hypo-salinity, Copper or Formaldehyde dip? I believe the tang won't take well to the copper?

Third - My QT tank is a 20g long. Is this large enough to hold them all for 6 weeks? Or untill my reef is SAFE.

Thanks
Dustin

no a 20g long is not nearly big enough for all those fish, IMO the stress from such a small tank will only make the ich worse

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14774067#post14774067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dustin_p
None of the fish are aggressive? Even the sixline! They all play real nice.

Aggressive or not that is too much bioload. THink of the ammonai buildup. Copper is risky with some tangs, you are probably looking at either hypo (which is going to suppress or kill any bacteria you have in the QT) or maybe the tank transfer method, which require a ton of saltwater. I might look at getting some rubbermaid containers to QT instead of or in addition to your tank and be ready to check ammonia twice a day or use a seachem ammonia detector badge

Hey I like the Rubbermaid idea! I DON'T think Suze Orman would recommend buying any unneeded stuff right now!! :)

Personally I wouldnt be pulling the trigger on QT and treatment until the fish showed signs of stress. If it's eating and otherwise acting normally, give some time to combat the problem. Also, you don't mention which of the fish is the new addition. Which one is showing these signs?

I agree that a 20 gallon tank will not suffice for the time required to provide treatment for ich. That may be likely to create more stress on the fish, which could be detrimental in this case.

rubbermaid or get a bigger tank i would try those fish all together either.........each fish should be placed in an individual tank for treatment of ich...........i would say 20~30g per fish or you could try it all together in like a 100g rubbermaid container or perhaps you might try like a brute trash can..........if you dont have the resources for this you might try to contact local reefers around your area for help

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14776612#post14776612 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bsagecko
rubbermaid or get a bigger tank i would try those fish all together either.........each fish should be placed in an individual tank for treatment of ich...........i would say 20~30g per fish or you could try it all together in like a 100g rubbermaid container or perhaps you might try like a brute trash can..........if you dont have the resources for this you might try to contact local reefers around your area for help

I think 40-50 gallons would be enough. They all live happily in the 75 they are currently in.

What is your idea having them all split up? Sounds ridiculous to have 6 - 30 gallon containers sitting around the house for a month and a half. Not to mention all the pumps and heaters! Plus I don't think I would enjoy doing 90 gallon water changes every other day.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14776603#post14776603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crvz
Personally I wouldnt be pulling the trigger on QT and treatment until the fish showed signs of stress. If it's eating and otherwise acting normally, give some time to combat the problem. Also, you don't mention which of the fish is the new addition. Which one is showing these signs?

I agree that a 20 gallon tank will not suffice for the time required to provide treatment for ich. That may be likely to create more stress on the fish, which could be detrimental in this case.

Sorry the new addition was the Foxface.

I think I'll be getting some type of large rubbermaid tote to treat them.

Good choice on the rubbermaid container. maybe even 2 or 3 from walmart would be sufficent and cheap. Check your local club forums even here to see if someone will let you borrow/have extra heater etc. I have a few lying around that work just fine and would just give them to you if you were local. Sry.

Back