20G Long Reef/Fuge/Sump build

Steven0000

Ok so it's been a while since i have posted any of my tanks so i thought it was about time I post one.
I'm a little rusty and I realize that there is much more information that has come to light since my last reefing experience so feel free to let me know of any mistakes or anything you might think i should know, but please be polite.

I have had a 20L stand for several years from a failed attempt to put one together only to crack the tank soon after I put sand and water in it.

So....this is my second attempt. Being older and wiser I decided to opt for a drill press instead of my old money saving technique of hand drilling my tanks like i used to do. (although it usually cost me more in broken tanks :mad2:)

Anyways.....about the project.....

Here is what I have so far:

• 20G Long twice drilled for an overflow and return.
  • 20G Long Stand (typical stand you would see)
  • 10G home made sump with four baffles (see pictures)
  • 150g rated recirculating protein skimmer ( i know it's overkill, forgot which brand but this is the best skimmer i have ever owned)
  • Old Rio return pump
  • Even older Top fin heater
  • Coralife 2 bulb 24w T5 fixture with moonlights
  • Power strip, PVC, cord organizer, etc.

And my plans (influenced by Vegas) for the livestock:

Corals:
  • Toadstool Leather
  • Shrooms
  • Zoo's
  • Frogspawn
  • Kenya Tree
  • Xenia
  • GSP
  • Long Tentacle Anemone

Looking mostly for vibrant colors as the tank will be more blue/purple.

Fish:
  • B&W Clown pair
  • Shrimp Goby Pair
  • Firefish

More to come on that....just haven't decided yet.

Photos:

CAM00217.jpg

CAM00218.jpg

CAM00220.jpg

CAM00221-1.jpg

CAM00222.jpg

Excuse the quality of the photos as they were taken with a shaky hand and crummy camera. Next set will be of higher quality. Thanks for looking.

Awesome! These small tanks amaze me. Drilling was much easier than I thought it would be, but I bet it was a little more tedious with thinner glass. Looking good!

Awesome! These small tanks amaze me. Drilling was much easier than I thought it would be, but I bet it was a little more tedious with thinner glass. Looking good!

Thanks! Yeah the first hole i drilled took about an hour and the second took about 20 minutes. This tank is actually thicker than the last 20G Long I had. I guess it's because it's not tempered on any panes.

So i cracked the tank, bought another one and redesigned the pluming:

DSCF1272.jpg

DSCF1271.jpg

DSCF1270.jpg

DSCF1266.jpg

A quick change in the plumbing to get rid of micro bubbles......did nothing. I'd like to get rid of them before I transfer from my 55g. I was thinking floss in between the baffles? Any ideas are appreciated.

CAM00287.jpg

I have the drain line and the emergency drain line running into the left side of the sump with the return on the right. The white pvc running from the right side to the left side is the skimmer return (recirculating skimmer) and is the cause of the micro bubbles. The baffles do nothing and i tried drilling the outlet of the skimmer pvc return and turning it almost horizontally, also did nothing. I was going to try some floss, but I can't find where it is located (girlfriend cleaned and now it's gone, go figure). I'll try the floss later, but I built this tank to be almost maintenance free and don't like the idea of changing the floss so an alternative would be preferred. I will be adding an ATO after another trip to HD or Lowes to get some brackets and a piece of wood cut to make a shelf on the left side of the stand. Also need to make a bracket for the ATO switch. I have seen some acrylic hang on types for the float switch that I have and will probably be making something similar. Any ideas or advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
I want to put the heater in between the baffles, but i'm afraid of the possibility the heater may get too hot and crack the glass. Is this possible, has anyone else done this with success?

Last night sand, rock, fish and corals were transferred. I will add HD pictures tonight when i get home. (right after I play with my new leap motion!) Also i plan to swap the t5's for an led fixture as soon as my 55 and equipment sells.

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

Photos would have been better......if I were a photographer and were also touched up, courtesy of my girlfriend.

Update:

Update:

Well it doesn't look like too many people are interested in this thread, but just in case I snapped a few photos this weekend after adding my DIY ATO.

Maintenance:

Every other day - feeding
Weekly - swapping out ATO jugs, 5G water change
Monthly - Cleaning the skimmer collection cup, cleaning the glass with mag float

Enjoy....

DSCF1292.jpg

DSCF1290.jpg

DSCF1289.jpg

DSCF1286.jpg

DSCF1285.jpg

DSCF1284.jpg

looking good, lack of interest may be from it not being in the proper forum, should have done this thread in the nano section.

Back