20L Prop Tank Lighting?

greenlm

In Memoriam
Hi,

Purchased a 20L to setup as a frag tank. I was planning on getting the Sunlight Supply 24" 4x24w T5 hood, but wanted to make sure that would be the best bang for the buck. Planning mostly to prop palythoa, montipora, maybe some millipora, blastos, galaxia, and other lps.

There are a few constraints. This prop tank is in a dorm room, so heat is an issue and I'm not buying another chiller, can't afford it. Also Lighting fixture needs to be a clean pendent with no exposed wires that could get me in trouble.

2uzasg1.jpg

30" tanks are a pain to light. I think the 24" sunlight tek hood would do the job though. Just want to make sure I will be getting the most growth for the buck with out heat issues.

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: I guess I should add what ever light I go with, I plan to hang from the ceiling.

Last edited:
Its really hard to try and fit a smaller light on a bigger aquarium. I tried it before and didnt work out to well for me. If you build a canopy then you could really stick whatever you want in there and the t5's would be perfect.

I am selling a coralife 150w hang on lighting fixture so pm if your interested. Alot of tanks with MH use fans for heating issues and that works perfect for most.

I just got a 48" tek 4bulb fixture and love the color, less heat, and less electricity usage. Oh and the bulbs are cheap so I say go for it. If you want a cheap grow out system you seem to have it down.

-Matt

Which would you pick for monti caps, monti digita, frogspawn, torches, hammers, blastos, galaxia, zoos, milli's, and potentially bubble tip anemones?

24" Tek T5 hood

24" Maristar MH+T5 combo Hood

Price difference is about $50 dollars given I found the maristar hood on clearance.

I would go with the tek fixture, for all the reasons I listed. I have a Tek fixture and love it. Both will be fine for what you want, its just t5's should be perfect for a dorm room w/ less heat and cheaper. I hope that helps,

-Matt

Without a doubt the 24" Maristar MH+T5 combo Hood ..it's a much nicer and cheaper unit than the tek

Back