225 build in my basement

wow ! that is really coming along great. Im still in planning stages for my tank. Keep up the good work man.

well the tank is running with salt water. the water is still cold and there is no live rock yet just the dry stuff. the heaters are running in the tank now. i need more heat though. will be finishing the electrical and doing some button up stuff to get ready for the live rock to be put in next weekend possibly. then it will be cycling for a while. I will be adding about 60 pounds of live rock to about 250 pounds of dry rock. so it will take a while to get all the rock cycled. once i get it started i will be ordering dome detrivor kits from inland to get the sand bed started and i will be begging for scoops of friends tanks to get the critters moving.

jimmy do you realize that that 75 you bought from me was two tanks ago for me. i have had two tanks running since i sold you that thing. i think it is about time to get that thing going. just kidding. let me know if you need any help.

jimmy do you realize that that 75 you bought from me was two tanks ago for me. i have had two tanks running since i sold you that thing. i think it is about time to get that thing going. just kidding. let me know if you need any help.

I could use the help trust me. I think Im going to use a 55 for a sump that I picked up for a freebie. Once I can get that all plumbed I will be good to go, I just need to figure out how I want the plumbing to be. And i will have plenty of beer here also if needed. :beer:

well the tank is offically cycling!!!! i picked up around 60 pounds of live rock and added it to the dry rock in the tank. i also threw a few silversides in there to get the cycle going. now it is just a waiting game.

well it has been a while since i have updated this. the tank is running. i have started transferring what i have left in my 40 over to the 225. i need to take some new pics but too lazy to do it tonight. here is one of it about a month ago.

DSC08467.jpg

i have been working on it tonight trying to get my fuge setup. one of these days it will be done. but i have not finished one yet. i will try to get some pics up in a few days. i am fighting micro bubbles right now and they were not there when i started the tank so i am hoping it is from the sand kind of burping the air out but time will tell.

Same here, i have micro bubbles again from my skimmer. But i was stirring up the rocks and sand so i figured that was doing it. Going to wait until tomorrow and see how its doing. Good luck on yours.

Nathan, a couple of questions:

1) It looks like there's a shiny black panel that you used for the control panel. Is that black acrylic or is the picture just playing tricks on me?

2) I noticed that there is a lip on the back of your stand (I plan to do that also). Do you have supports directly under the back corners of the tank or just on the back of the stand. I would just worry about not having posts directly under all of the corners and wanted to hear your thoughts.

the black panel is just a piece of black acrylic. and the stand is made with post under all four corners of the stand the little walkway jets out from the legs. this stand is very stout. there is no give in it the back is made without a center post so i can get to the sump.

Sweet. That's what I was hoping you'd say because that's how I've always drawn mine up. Also planned to use the dj switches in the stand for a power center too.

It's looking good man.

well the skimmer is not quite done but it is ready to start breaking in. Just one question does anyone feed there fuge with the skimmer output. it is fed now from the return but it would be so easy just to run the output of the skimmer to the fuge. i am feeding it with a quiet one 3000 so the flow will be about the same to the fuge as it is now. here is a pic.

DSC08473.jpg

I've always heard that it's best for the fuge to get pre-skimmed water. The excess proteins in the water that hasn't been skimmed supposedly will help the critters in the refugium flourish.

Not sure if there's any truth in that, but I've heard it a number of times.

My skimmer is fed from my sump, then it feeds the frag tank. Thus eliminating a need for a return pump on the frag tank!

well i do not have the collection cup done yet but the skimmer is running. i just have the water level set low the feed pump is a little too much for the fuge overflow i may need to put another bulkhead in it.

Well the skimmer is skimming nasty stuff. it has been running less than 24 hours and it is doing pretty good. i hope this thing is going to be a good skimmer for me. I have less than 300 dollars in it most of the acrylic was scraps and got a great deal on the pump used. a free 6" tube from a friend. here is a video from my cell phone.

Nathan, you said you put the lights on a closet track system right?

Can you post some detailed pics. I'm going to do something similar for the pendant for my little tank.

Back