240 gal Reef Waveboxes, Streams, etc. - Flow Advice

Oldtimer

Hi All,
Currently in the planning stages of my ~240 gal Reef Display which will be largely dedicated to SPS and a medium fishload. I will have a large ~100 gal sump, ~45 gal fuge, ~35-40 gal frag tank, 65 gal water change/holding tank and ~45 gal mangrove fuge. So, around 500 gal total volume.

The tank with either come from AGE or Miracles. My plan is to have an external overflow on one end of the tank. I really want to avoid using a closed loop, because I don't want holes in the bottom of the tank and I don't want to deal with the issues of sand clogging the OM devices. So, my plan is to run two waveboxes adjacent to the overflow similar to Jar * head. In addition, I want to put two Vortechs on the opposite end, a Stream (either a 6101 or 6201) hidden in a stream rock and a Wavysea on the main return at the middle top of the back of the tank. I plan to use a Red Sea 8.2 m3 for the return pump, but roughly half of this waterflow will be rerouted to the fuges, frag tank and water change tank. Please take a look at the attached file and let me know if you have feel I have a good setup or offer any suggestions for improvement. I want to keep all detrius suspended in the water column and much as possible and I plan to have an open aquascape similar to what I've sketched on the attached file. Thanks!

Andy

Attachments

• 240reefflowdiagram.xls
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
Andy, congrats on the new tank. I have some suggestion hope it will help.

If you want to run an wave box an extension, make sure you have whoever build your tank to cut the teeth in your overflow box a little lower. I think standard is 1.5", mine is 2.5" to compensate the large wave and to avoid water splashing the euro brace. Expect to have approx 2"-3" of wave :D

Powerhead
Tunze is way to go for circulation but i don't know about the stream rock. I would use the 6101 and the wavy sea combo just like the picture i have in my thread. First it look very clean. Second it can provide a random flow and you still can run your return into it.

Vortech Powerhead
Great piece of gear but i heard they make noise when you use the wireless controller. I have seen them run in Anthony's tank, it made the humbing noise and some find it irritating.

Return pump
Did you mean to say Red Dragon 12 m3 or Red sea? The RD pump that size produce approx 3000gph. IMO that a bit too much flow for your need even tho you will share some with your fuge.

Hey Steve,
Thanks for the feedback, epecially the tips on the overflow. I don't want water or fish on the floor. :D

There's an 8.2 m3 Red Dragon with the new std US pipe size now. I agree, 3000gph is too much. The 8.2 is around 2100 gph. After you consider all the head loss, half or less than half of what is left will come back to the tank via the Wavysea. The rest will split to the fuges, frag tank and water change tank. The main fuge will empty directly into the display tank and the others will drain back to the sump. You can check out the 8.2 m3 here...

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_137_356&products_id=647

I'll have to look into the Vortechs. I recall reading about the noise issues, but others say they don't have that problem. I just really like the streamlined look. My tank will be in-wall so I won't see the motors, just the propellers. I'd prefer to have the Tunzes out of sight since they are so big. The wavebox makes that easy. ;)

My idea is to try to create a lot of random tubulence in the water. I wanted to try the stream rock and place this stream so that it sends water directly onto a bunch of SPS.

Sounds like alot of my equiptment lol. I hav a 8.2 for a few years now. It runs through my 1/2 p chiller and then through a wavyseas. It loses ALOT of it flow. BUT I love the silence of the pump like its not even on.

Andy, regarding the VT's, I remember reading that one of the parts needs to be changed about once a year because it rusts. something to consider

Yep, I've heard it's around $25 for replacement parts. Seems that they could do better with material selection. I believe it's the magnetic disc that corrodes. Although I haven't seen the pump up close yet, it seems that an epoxy coating on the magnet would address the corrosion issue. It seems that some find that replacing the bearing is also required. Not a big deal.

I guess Steve and I are Tunze-fanatics. I find it hard to swallow that I need to replace a part on a yearly basis for something that costs so much money.

I do love the footprint of the VT, though. The ultimate PH would be Tunze qualities in a VT body. :)

Can't disagree about replacing parts, but let's face it - the Tunzes are freaking huge! I'd rather have my eyes drawing to a nice table or staghorn. :D

I feel this thread warping into yet another VT vs. Tunze debate :) let's not go there and try to figure out your flow...With that said, I'd like to get last word in :D

how will your eyes be drawn to a nice table or stag when your VT's are only throwing out 3000gph? and Steve and my Tunzes are throwing out 5300+? :p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12262732#post12262732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jar*Head
Stop day dreaming Terry... :D

without daydreamers, innovation would cease to exist. You'll be first in line whenever this happens, and VT would go out of business!

Only thing to show off right now is some lighting and a mangrove fuge that's been wrapped in plastic and sitting for a few years... it's from an old setup that never happened. A nice BK is on the way though :D Tank will be ordered shortly and I'm working with a local guy on my sump, fuge and frag tank. Won't be long before I have some nice pics. Of course, I have pics of the fish room, but I'm gonna wait to post them. Electrical is 95% complete (subpanel with 4 20 amp circuits), one wall yet to be framed. I'll start a thread when I have a bit more to show. For now, I'll just follow all of your threads and starting playing with Google Sketchup. :D

Sounds nice Steve. I did mine myself, but it was a lot of fun! Actually, I still need to have an electrician come out and upgrade my service from 100 amp to 200 amp. I don't want to play with the service feed!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12265162#post12265162 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
I feel this thread warping into yet another VT vs. Tunze debate :) let's not go there and try to figure out your flow...With that said, I'd like to get last word in :D

how will your eyes be drawn to a nice table or stag when your VT's are only throwing out 3000gph? and Steve and my Tunzes are throwing out 5300+? :p

I have yet to throw in my super modded cake mixer yet. Hand driven too! :lol:

You mean 2 Vortechs, a 6201 or 6101 Tunze, 8.2 m3 Red dragon on Wavysea and 2 waveboxes are not enough? :eek1: :eek1:

I do want my fish to stay in the tank you know. :lol:

Back