24hr reef light cycle

ravencsr

When you watch yt vids on reef tanks etc, you always see the blue light. most of the time the room always seems to have no other ceiling lights on. The room always looks blue.

Q. What is the normal '24hr cycle' of the reef lighting? Is it totally off during night, slowly ramping up during the day to its max at ~midday then ramping down, to mimic the natural sunlight?

If it is, and you work predominately during daylight hours, will you only get to see your tank 'at its most vibrant best' at days when you dont work? i.e. during lunch time hours?

Do the lights turn totally off at night? How much light does 'moon light' settings display ??

Reason for the question is I plan to setup my reef in my study, where I have ceiling lights on when I am in the room. Will normal ceiling lights (in my room) at night time, or first up in the morning, be detrimental to the tank (corals/fish)?

Thanks

For starters moonlight is less than .3 lux or less and has a color temperature of 4100K. I haven't seen any "moonlight" setting or fixture that even comes close to what corals actually see. Mornings and afternoons most of sunmlight is reflected away so max intensity is only seen for about 4 - 6 hours. If you want specifics you should search for PAR readings on reefs but expect numbers to be all over the place depending on latitude and depth and turbidity. Due to the tilt of the earth there will be some seasonal variation even on hte equator but It's probably safe to say on our reef systems lightst should never be on for more than 12 hours and depending on intensity used max intensity shouldn't be on for more than 6 hours. When they ramp up and ramp down is really up to you, if you want the lights brightest in the evening when you are there to watch it by all means adjsut your light cycle accordingly.

Back