24V battery backup

Bigbibi

Dear All,

I thought I'd share with you the battery backup I did for my system. It is designed to run any kind of pump that is powered by 24 vdc, so any vortech, jebao, reef octopus vario etc.

Disclaimer : I am not an electrical engineer and you replicate this at your own risk. If you find the design to have any flaws, please comment !

The original design I found on Youtube, but there's no explanation, just the video of the setup running.

parts:
12 v battery + dc/dc booster to 24vdc or 2 x 12 v battery in parallel
12v trickle charger for the battery
5 x relay double circuits, 24vdc coil, but you could have as many as you want.
dc plugs and dc jacks, depending on the no. of the relays.

The circuit is as follows:
- The power source of the pump powers the coil and the NO circuit (no.1) of the relay
- the battery is daisy chained among all the relays, on NC circuit (no.2) of the relay.
There's a wire going from the relay to the pump controller.

So, when the :
1. power is on > the coil is activated > the NO circuit is closed > the pump is powered by the power source.
2. power is off > the coil is inactive > the NC circuit is closed > the pump is powered by the battery.

The transition between DC and battery takes a split second (the time is takes the relay to switch between the NO and NC).

This is far better than the vortech backup, as it allows to keep the MP's at full power instead of 50% max and all the other DC pumps, all at the same time.
I have 2 MP10s, one Reefoctopus vario 2, on Jebao 1200 (quarantine tank) and working on the skimmer pump (replace the AC pump with a DC pump).
Also, you could hook up any no of 12v batteries (if you use the DC/DC booster, you put them in series) and relays.
Thanks,
Claudiu

Attachments

• IMG_7989.jpg
    IMG_7989.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7990.jpg
    IMG_7990.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7988.jpg
    IMG_7988.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7991.jpg
    IMG_7991.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1
You might want to slip a fuse into the circuit for each of the 'outputs' to the pumps, just in case it gets overloaded or something goes awry.

Otherwise I like it! :thumbsup:

Personally I would have wired it like such (see attached)
I've seen too many DPDT relays stop switching on one side or the other.
Just easier too..
But what you did is fine too.. Just my $0.02

A few vent holes in the case should ensure you don't have any heat issues from those relay coils or converter..

Attachments

• Backup.jpg
    Backup.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2
Back