24x24x16 or 24x24x14

I know for sure I want the 24X24. I like the looks of shallow tanks and know 16" is still considered shallow, just wondering if it would look more cube(ish) than shallow.

Looking for opinions from those who have possibly seen both. Or, just your opinion in general. I've seen 24x24x12 in person, just like a bit more height.

100% personal preference really..
Choose what YOU like..

Personally I'll take any extra water volume I can get..

It is just personal preferences, but for me, I would go up to 20"H.
you spend alot of time and money into this and at 12" or 16", it might be too low.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm leaning more towards the 14" height. I really like the shallow lagoon look. I have a 14" and 16" mark established in the location the tank will be going. My eyes seem to be more drawn to the 14" mark.

There will be extra 1" of empty space from the top edge. You probably are accounting for it already though.

I would not go for 14" by the time you account for the water level and maybe 1" of sand it might be too shallow

Not sure if it helps, but the tank pictured below is 24x24x14. I was also deciding between 16" ans 14". Went with 14" because I wanted a more shallow appearance. I don't know yet if I will regret not going with 16" because I am still just leak testing with freshwater. Once running, the water level will be about an inch higher than in the pic. I can't fill it all the way yet because I'm still finishing up the overflow plumbing.

image.jpg

To the OP, I have a 4'x2'x14" deep shallow reef and I love it. It's way more fun to play in than my old 180g 24" deep tank.

Back