250 or 400 mh?

Okay Alejandro you have convinced me on the pfo dual ballast. I will be ordering that soon also i will buy the pfo spider reflector with pfo quick disconnect. That combined with the hamilton 14000k bulb will round out the system. I think that i am going to go with the 250 watt bulbs though as I do not have plans for a deeper tank and most of my corals will be softies and LPS which are currently thriving under 130 watts pc in my 10 gal.

Its going to take me longer to be able to put this system together as it looks like it will cost$140.00 for double 250 wt pfo ballast $94.00 for 2 reflectors w mogol sockets and quick disconnects and $112.00 for the bulbs. the good thing is that i can just buy one piece at a time so the wife doesn't get that its going to be like $400.00 with shipping costs!

I currently have a 90 gallon with 2 250 watt 14k hamilton's on it. I have quite a few sps corals and also a variety of lps and softies and all seem to do very well with just the halides and no supplementation. It takes a little to get used to initially because it doesn't seem all that bright. After a while it looks fantastic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8143365#post8143365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ARIANNA
Okay Alejandro you have convinced me on the pfo dual ballast. I will be ordering that soon

Thats the way to go Fred !!!

250 's are great as well !!!
go for'em i just saw a picture of someone in reefcentral that is from a farm in Japan......I belive this tank put steve west in papmers lol

check this out !!!:bum:

WWW.CPFARM.COM

:bum:

Alejandro, Check this out
http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=83
I can have 2 of these shipped to me for $305.00 Which seemed like a lot more than the PFO setup. When you add shipping to the PFO Ballast it comes to 191.00 so the total for the PFO Setup is $302.00 I think for 3 dollars I can spring for the electronic ballasts. Now I have about 800 favorites in my Reef Lighting folder(how confusing):strooper:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8144039#post8144039 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ARIANNA
Alejandro, Check this out
http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=83
I can have 2 of these shipped to me for $305.00 Which seemed like a lot more than the PFO setup. When you add shipping to the PFO Ballast it comes to 191.00 so the total for the PFO Setup is $302.00 I think for 3 dollars I can spring for the electronic ballasts. Now I have about 800 favorites in my Reef Lighting folder(how confusing):strooper:

i like the magnetic ballast better but ICECAP is always a
Good deal.....GO FOR IT FRED !!!

:bum:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8135413#post8135413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yupi1982
Heyy Arianna...hope this helps sweetheart !!!

Alejandro:bum:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8135569#post8135569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ARIANNA
Thanks...By the way Arianna is my daughter.

Fred

:lolspin:

Most important would be the spacing, sticking with a bulb every 18" - 24".

On a 24" I would go w/ 250w SE or HQI. The 400w would be overkill for low light corals. 250w would be more than enough for SPS and clams.

Now... if it was a 29" high I would go w/ 250w HQI or 400w.

Staying with 250w SE you will have all the brands and K ratings available to you. HQI and 400w SE are more limiting for choices.

Best,
Doug

400s is overkill in every sense of the word here, on a 90g.

I've got 250s over a 24" deep tank, and I burn out SPS near the bottom. (stylos, some montis, etc).

You can keep anything in a 24" tank with 250s, if you keep it clean.

If your tank is high in nutrients, you'll need more light.

Back