250 or 400 mh?

ARIANNA

Given the option of 250 or 400 wt metal halide lighting what would you choose for a 90 gal? What would the pros and cons be of each choice? The retros I'm looking at on e-bay are the same price so that doesn't factor into my choice. I will not be supplimenting with actinics so I was leaning towards the 400 with 20,000k bulbs. Thank you for your help

I would go with 400 , your corals will love it !!!
the pros are far way more than the cons
2 cons i see is that you will nees something to supplement cool to your system
a chiller will be your best bet
if you diont have the money buy at least 2 x 4" 80 cmf fans
to support some ventilation trough the tank
the other con is that the upgrade will cost you more money in electricity
every 400 w standar ballas will run you about 12 bucks a month
and changing your bulb will run you between 50 to 80 a year !!!
JMO !!

Alejandro:bum:

yupi, how much would the 250 cost just as a comparison? Also does 20000k give an actinic effect or just blue color? How high off the water would I keep the 400? My tank will be in my basement with a constant temp of about 60 degrees all year and the tank will be built into a wall so the lighting will be in a hood but it will be open on top and have large areas for ventilation on the sides. I will be doing everything possible to avoid a chiller so I may have to stick with 250 wts.

Re: 250 or 400 mh?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8128861#post8128861 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ARIANNA
Given the option of 250 or 400 wt metal halide lighting what would you choose for a 90 gal? What would the pros and cons be of each choice? The retros I'm looking at on e-bay are the same price so that doesn't factor into my choice. I will not be supplimenting with actinics so I was leaning towards the 400 with 20,000k bulbs. Thank you for your help

How deep is your tank and what do you want to keep in it? Not all corals will appreciate such high intensity light.

Thanks for your replies. The tank will be 24 inches deep. I will want to keep all types of corals. Right now i have some ricordias, mushrooms, zoos, leathers, and i would like to do some sps. I had only considered 250s until today when I found 400s for the same price. I love actinic coloring but I will not be adding any florescent to my new tank.

And don't forget about the heat issue. Chiller and fans may be more of a necessity with 400s than with 250s. 250s will be fine in a 24 inch tank IMO. I'm overdriving mine and I think it may be too much for some of the less light demanding species.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8134667#post8134667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ARIANNA
yupi, how much would the 250 cost just as a comparison? Also does 20000k give an actinic effect or just blue color? How high off the water would I keep the 400? My tank will be in my basement with a constant temp of about 60 degrees all year and the tank will be built into a wall so the lighting will be in a hood but it will be open on top and have large areas for ventilation on the sides. I will be doing everything possible to avoid a chiller so I may have to stick with 250 wts.

Heyy Arianna, sorry i couldént get back to you
Look , if your basement keep 60 grades all the time i believe that you just avoided the chiller issue but remember to buy at least two 4 inches 80 cmf fans .
About the lightning i agree with someone that recomended the hamilton 14 k 400 w they will bring you good PAR readings and a great crisp so you dont have to add any actinics to the display!!!
About electricity... dont worry about it... just pay the Bill and enjoy that incredible reef....lol:rollface: :strooper: ..the difference between 250 and 400 is like 5 bucks per ballast !!!
i pay 12 bucks a month for each 400 !!!

by the way i am gonna purshase right now 2 hamilton 14k because they are 40 bucks less ....HUGE SALE
hint you with the site ARIANNA
www.fishsupply.com
they go for 90 bucks each everywhere, but this site have them on sale for 15 days and the are runing for 50 bucks each.....AWESOME:mixed:
hope this helps sweetheart !!!

Alejandro
:bum:

Thanks for the help everyone. By the way Arianna is my daughter. Alejandro are you anywhere near The Beach Club? My inlaws live there and I believe it is in Hallendale.
Fred

Hey Fred !!
I live about 10 minutes away from hallandelle!!
it-s been raining a lot but hopefully we can get some sunny skies for the next couple of weeks....whenever you are in town let me know !!
so we can share experiences or even trade a few corals my friend !!!
Alejandro:bum:

Fred , the best way to go will be ....

2 x 400 MH

Ballast : PFO dual ballast- Standar (m59)
get the last one on the page , the one that has this code
LT-PFAQ2-400MH-120V

http://www.customaquatic.com/custom...ory.asp?brandID=PF&subcatID=lt-rbal&offset=15

the fans are on sale , get the ones for $ 23.99 , they are hamilton & are 80cmf, exacly what you need, get two of those if you'd like!!, this is the code: LT-HMAFT2G

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandsubcategory.asp?brandID=HM&subcatID=lt-fa

about the bulbs :
if you dont have the money or just wont buy the actinic retrofit /fixture , then you can just buy the Hamilton 14k bulbs they are on sale for $ 52.99 per bulb .....awesome price

http://www.fishsupply.com/slght-40140.html

if you have the retrokit/or the fisture for VHO or t5 then your best bet will be having XM10K bulbs or EVC 10K these to lamps will give you the best PAR readings ever FACT :bum:

Finally , I believe one of the most important if not the most important thing...will be the REFLECTORS !!!
The Lumenarc III are on sale as well will run you about $ 118 each...the nuMber is on his web page ask for Anthony ..he is super easy guy to do business with, he even work with you on the shipping .....

http://www.reefexotics.com/lumenarc.htm

I hope this help you a bit ...
take care Fred

Alejandro

:rollface:

I argee with Dandy 24"tank with Some sps=250w. You dont need 400watters. Infact your mushrooms and most leathers wont like 400 watt lights.. Heat will also be an issue with that size tank. You would be Amazed at how much heat a 400watt bulb puts out compared to a 250..

There is nothen wrong with 400watters. I just dont think you need them.. I've got two 400watters. One on my 92 gallon SPS tank and one in the middle of my 180.. I keep my lower light corals on the ends of my 180 under the 250s and keep higher demand corals in the middle under the 400watter.

I am looking at putting 2 of these on the tank.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-400-Metal-H...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know the bulbs are probably garbage so they would be replaced. Yeserday they had them in 250 wt also $235.00 SHIPPED SAME PRICE FOR 250 OR 400 I cannot afford pfo or ice cap ballasts and luminarc reflectors(I wish I could). I will definately take the advice on the Hamilton 14000k bulbs as they seem to be popular. I will also have at least 2 fans on the unit.
:strooper: Fred

WOW. if i were u I stopp right there FRED
Junk....IMO
Those are chep ballast....a cheap ballast wont give you the same PAR, Durability, Life span.Power,and Brightness as a good one !!!

run the numbers...
the PFO magnetic ballast i am telling you about is dual so you can plug 2 bulbs there.....and is only $ 145 cheapest price ever

about the reflectors...yeah they are A BIT pricy but worth it JMHO
but you can put buy two spicer reflectors for 40 bucks each at
www.marinedepot.com and problem solved !!

Again most of the time a cheap thing is not a good thing !!
IMO
Alejandro:eek:

Back