250 or 400w mh?

crsaz

should I go with 4 250watt fixtures burning radium 20k's or 3 400w fixtures burning radium 20k's. the tank will be 6'x2'x2'

I would go with the 4 250's. I did a quick price check and its a little cheaper to replace 4 250 bulbs, than 3 400's. I think its icecap that sells a pendant that can be used for both. Of course your ballasts won't, but if you decided to upgrade to 400's, you'd be a step ahead.

400w radiums are the same price as the 250w so it would be $90 cheaper to replace 3 400w bulbs

I would use 3- 250 watt halides- it is more than enough, plus you will save on electricity and excess heat. Use good, high end reflectors and you will have full coverage with no dark areas in the tank. If you can fit them, I would look at Lumenmax Elite or Lumenbrights if you have a high canopy. I use LumenMax 2's on my 120, and they give very good coverage.

I plan on using lumen bright reflectors. what about if I decide to go with a 225(30") I want to be able to keep sps on all levels of the tank

FWIW...I was planning on just using 2 400w in 2 lumenarc reflectors for my 6 foot tank. and if that wasnt enough, you could get a 250w in the middle with a lumenbright reflector. food for thought.

studies have shown that light intensity is the key factor for growth.

so, if you want the "Best" of sps, and "at all levels", the choice is clear.

take a look at reefbum, march totm, he has a thread with progression pics. I believe he started with 400w 10k's went to 250s , and has done the best with 400w radiums which he is still using.

Back