250's or 400's

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7345998#post7345998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
All I know is the best tank I have ever seen, and likely will ever see in my life (as far as growth and colors go), uses 400w XM 20k, or other bulbs of similar color (not necessarly temp indicated by the manf).
And the nicest I've seen [and IMO in pictures] uses 10k + VHO actinic.

IMO, the wattage, bulb color, etc really doesn't make that big a difference if you have enough intensity.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7345351#post7345351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zapata41
now if the par from the 400w 20ks was greater than that of the 10k 250w then wont the 400w get better growth

Tim
Search on both `photoinhibition' and `saturation point'.

More does not = better in terms of light, after a point more light reduces the photosynthetic rate [see Dana Riddle + others work on photoinhibition].

IME, if under 24" - anything from 175s [10k] to 400 [20k] produces excellent results. Having bumped to 2 250's on my tank, I may reduce one to a 175 as I got the same results with that as I do now running a higher power bill.

All my opinion.

Seen JB NY's tank/photos?
Doesn't use as much photoshopping.

Or does he use green and blue sand?
jeffs%20reef

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7345998#post7345998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
All I know is the best tank I have ever seen, and likely will ever see in my life (as far as growth and colors go), uses 400w XM 20k, or other bulbs of similar color (not necessarly temp indicated by the manf). I am STRONGLY considering running the 400w XM 20k or similar on my 75g, just so I can have high par, with a 20k bulb. It is my opinion that 20k simply produces the best colors. unfortunately to get good growth you need more PAR...thus the 400w...

And it costs him how much $$ per month to run that tank dosing every single zeovit supplement out there? There is a lot more going on in that tank than just lighting. Although I do agree that is a spectacular tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7345351#post7345351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zapata41
now if the par from the 400w 20ks was greater than that of the 10k 250w then wont the 400w get better growth

Tim

Not necessarily. This is 100% just my opinion, but I believe there is more to photosynthesis than PAR alone. I feel that hitting the zoox with a broader spectrum of light also plays a role in increasing photosynthesis. Why is the Iwasaki 6500k bulb the best bulb to grow corals under? Sure it has high PAR, but the XM 10k is right up ther with it. I think it is more due to it having the broadest spectrum of any MH bulb on the market. At IMAC Dana Riddle presented a slide that compared the wavelengths produced by the sun to those produced by the Iwasaki and they were almost the exact same.

As for the difference between my 400w 20k's and 250w 10k's there was basically no difference. According to Sanjay's site my 400w Radiums on PFO HQI were putting out 147 PPFD. The 250w XM 10k's on M58's are putting out 137 PPFD. A little less but pretty much a small enough difference that it is a moot point. I also run 320w of actinic VHO with the 10k's but they are so high off the water and have to penetrate through 1" thick euro bracing so I don't think they are contributing anything as far as growth.

Re: 400 all the way

Re: 400 all the way

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7346875#post7346875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hockeydad
have them on my 120 and sps are loving it!

That doesnt mean they need it though. 3x 400 in a 120 is insane.

I've seen people running 2x250 in 200+ gallon tanks, and growing stuff everywhere.

diver_ua ... what reflectors are those on?

IME, there's a big difference in the spread you get depending on the reflector. Put those on Lumenarcs or such, I bet you'd be pleased.

MiddletonMark

Pretty well aluminium reflectors. There're 150w's. If think 2 bulbs (150 or 250) are definitely not enough for good covering of LR.

mg_150_front.jpg

This is temporary set before reassembling the system. Sorry for dirty sand and glass.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7347234#post7347234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by diver_ua
RichConley

But 2 bulbs are not enough for long tank. There is big shadow zone.

length 52"
high 22"
front_110506.jpg

With the right reflectors and the correct bulb placement you can get good coverage with 2 400 watt bulbs on a long (6ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢) tank. Here are a few pictures of my 4 month old SPS tank running 20k SE Radiumsââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦

Full Tank
20060504_full_tank.jpg

Far Right Side
20060504_pink_mille.jpg

Bottom Left
20060504_orange_monti_digi.jpg

The bulbs are 9ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ off the water and 21ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ in from the side of the canopy. They are mounted perpendicular to the front of the tank and are using Spider Reflectorsââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦

Nate

i run a 400 xm 15 k bulb over my 65 with supplementation of 192 watts of PC actinic and have never had my temp get over 79 degrees and never below 78 I love this light and the way it looks plus i can keep any coral i want

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7346513#post7346513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis
At IMAC Dana Riddle presented a slide that compared the wavelengths produced by the sun to those produced by the Iwasaki and they were almost the exact same.
The saturation/photoinhibition plus red vs. blue light part of that talk was great, too. Got a lot out of his talk too.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7347577#post7347577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by diver_ua
MiddletonMark

Pretty well aluminium reflectors.
I'm not huge into DE reflectors [as I don't use them] ... but I'd expect there are ones that are more efficient, might have a wider spread as well.

Check out Sanjay Joshi's work on reflectors - his distribution charts of light I found really suprising in how `good seeming' reflectors can be less efficient/worse spread than others that seem just about the same. Like comparing bulbs/intensity by visual comparison - IMO similarly reflectors are hard to truly judge just by looking. My opinion, though.

And if you've never seen Joe's tank ... 250w 10k + Actinic can really rock.
acro_purp_021702.jpg

DSCN0476.jpg

DSCN0467.jpg

DSCN5078.jpg

Hard to argue with that color, IMO ...

Re: Re: 400 all the way

Re: Re: 400 all the way

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7347158#post7347158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
That doesnt mean they need it though. 3x 400 in a 120 is insane.

I couldn't agree more. I used to run 2 x 400w on a 75 also with 440w of actinic VHO. My results really haven't been much different than running 3 x 250w on a 280. The main difference has been heat and the electric bill.:) The growth now is a little slower but I will take a manageable electrical bill and moderate growth over an unaffordable electrical bill and super fast growth any day.

I have a buddy that runs 2 x 400w on a 58 and the tank looks good but I think it would look just as good with 2 x 175w.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7348042#post7348042 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark
The saturation/photoinhibition plus red vs. blue light part of that talk was great, too. Got a lot out of his talk too.

An excellent presentation it was. Right in line with my current philosophy that a lot of hobbyists are overlighting their tanks. Sure more light usually equals faster growth but there is a bigger concern of hitting the point of photoinhibition and actually killing the corals.

And if you've never seen Joe's tank ... 250w 10k + Actinic can really rock.

Checkmate!!!:lol:
Joe's results with 3 x 250w on his 180 are what gave me the courage to try 250's on my 280.

yes joes tank is very nice, great color too, but elec consumption is more than a pair of 400s though.
also i was running 2 250s in lumenarcs and getting great coverage. like i said though, my vho ballast went out and i decided to give the 400 20k a try and see how i liked them. might change to something else in 6 months though as the 20k color is a bit much blue for me, maybe the helios 12k which runs at a 15k might do the trick for me

Tim

Back