250W DE Bulb recommendations

macreefster

i am currently using the phoenix 14k and like the look it brings to the tank.... a crisp white with a tint of blue. i don't supplement with actinics and am using a bluewave 7 M80 ballast with lumenmax 3 reflectors.

it's time for replacing the bulb and would like any recommendations RC members might have. if there's a light that might bring out the colors in my sps dominated tank moreso than the phoenix, i'd appreciate hearing about it. seems like a lot people like the radium bulbs. i don't mind staying with the phoenix but would love to hear some or your opinions. thanks.

I can't even fathom how someone could call a Phoenix "a crisp white with a hint of blue". It's one of the bluest bulbs on the market, though I guess it can vary a little depending on the ballast. If you like the looks of it you're going to want to stick with it or go with something like the 20k Radium. Considering the price and good par for how blue they are, if you like the Phoenix I say stick with them.

Mine is deffinetly a crisp white with a hint of blue. I get better colors out of Pheonix than I do XM 20K but that is my only DE bulb experience. I will be sticking to Phoenox.

i was worried about the phoenix bulbs being too blue when i got them, but they are more of a crisp white for me than blue. i was told that by using an M80 ballast it would push the bulbs harder making them more white than blue....so maybe thats the difference.

heres the color i get with phoenix bulbs.

c927e62c.jpg

21736c7f.jpg

I use the same bulbs with Aquamedic HQI ballasts and get the same white color. This is the color that they should be. They get really blue when they are under driven. The phoenix is a true HQI bulb and need to be driven with a HQI ballast.

I've tried several 250 DE bulbs and keep coming back to the Phoenix as my favorite

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139186#post14139186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bosborn1
I use the same bulbs with Aquamedic HQI ballasts and get the same white color. This is the color that they should be. They get really blue when they are under driven. The phoenix is a true HQI bulb and need to be driven with a HQI ballast.

I've tried several 250 DE bulbs and keep coming back to the Phoenix as my favorite

I use the same ballast as you and find the Phoenix to be obnoxiously blue. I've since switched back to the G-Man/Ushio 14k bulb. Which is a crisp white with a hint of blue IMO. IIRC the Phoenix registers off the chart on most color meters which go up to 20k.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139093#post14139093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by macreefster
i was worried about the phoenix bulbs being too blue when i got them, but they are more of a crisp white for me than blue. i was told that by using an M80 ballast it would push the bulbs harder making them more white than blue....so maybe thats the difference.

heres the color i get with phoenix bulbs.

c927e62c.jpg

21736c7f.jpg

You tank looks great! But, and don't take offense to this, it has the washed out blue haze that I'd expect from a Phoenix bulb. If you like it that's all that really matters though.

no offense taken at all peter....i'm the one asking for recommendations and i appreciate any feedback given. i would like a bulb with more crispness, yet one that i don't have to supplement with actinics. i like the color of most of my corals with the phoenix bulbs, but i understand what you mean by their washed out look. i dont consider them very blue, but i guess it depends on ones perception of color. i'd like a more whiteness, brightness and crispness.....but i don't want any yellowish look. would a 12k ushio provide that in your opinion? thats one of the bulbs i was considering.

lol, OMG.

I bought a 3 hqi 48" fixture with MH only and decided to get phoenix bulbs.

I've since noticed that no TOTM (I searched all last year today) or any of the best looking tanks are running phoenix.

After reading this thread I start searching and find a new aquamedic 48" dual 250w with dual 54w T5's. They are running a SWEET sale at $486 to my door with upgraded "reflex cube" ballast (or you can get regular magnetic ballast for $420 to your door).

So this thing is sitting in my online cart, I'm debating buying this thing, getting a "whiter" MH bulb and getting ATI blue+ that I've used in past tanks.

Should I do it?

Cham there are plenty of great looking tanks using phoenix (much more than the bulb as you know) macreefster is a great example.

My favorite 250w combination for color is actually 250w BLV 10k's with 3 or 4 VHO actinics. You get nice blues and greens but still keep the red/pinks and yellows.

I use Gman 14.5k corals in my setup, they really have a punch on a HQI ballast. You should refer to Sanjays lighting studies

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting

I use to run aqualine 10k, they are very similar to the Gman, but the Gman have a slight blue tint. Great par from both bulbs, i have a par meter and im getting 200-300 across most of the bottom of my tank at 26" deep.

You can always supplement with either VHO or T5 to get a more blue look. Thats what i do.

Rich
Any pics of the Helios 20K? I've heard great things about them.
Still love my Phoenix but always good to look around.

kkris I have pic of it on my nano but the white balance is off a little. A tad less blue than the photo. You really need to see them on a larger tank to appreciate the color. This is only a 24gal
ftsdec19016.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139667#post14139667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cham
lol, OMG.

I bought a 3 hqi 48" fixture with MH only and decided to get phoenix bulbs.

I've since noticed that no TOTM (I searched all last year today) or any of the best looking tanks are running phoenix.

After reading this thread I start searching and find a new aquamedic 48" dual 250w with dual 54w T5's. They are running a SWEET sale at $486 to my door with upgraded "reflex cube" ballast (or you can get regular magnetic ballast for $420 to your door).

So this thing is sitting in my online cart, I'm debating buying this thing, getting a "whiter" MH bulb and getting ATI blue+ that I've used in past tanks.

Should I do it?

I had the same two bulb set up from aquamedic. The reflector sucks. It leaves a lot of shadow and the light distribution is very poor. Sold it and switched to 400 watters.

Thanks Rich. Might be the change I'm looking for. Steve raves about this bulb. How's the growth rate? Thanx

Steve got me into the Helios. I've seen them a while ago but I wasn't running blue bulbs at the time so I never considered it. I'm not sure on the growth. Growth always seems the same to me no matter what bulb I use :D Steve would know better than me.

Next time you're fragging I'll take a ride to Brooklyn and check it out in person. You're closer to me than he is :)

Back