250w Metal halide?

It looks like an Odyssea brand, the cheapest, crappiest fixture you can buy, it is a Chinese import. There is no warranty listed because there is no real warranty. If the light dies in a month you get to buy it all over again. The bulbs in it are not very good, the reflectors in it are not very good and the ballast that powers everything is not very good and the wiring inside is not up to standards. It will work, right up to the moment it doesn't, the problem is you never know how long that will be, could be a few years, could be a few weeks.

A well built and safe fixture does not cost 145 bucks and those cheap ones are always a gamble. Look for a Geismann, AquaMedic or Hamilton brand fixture.

It looks like an Odyssea brand, the cheapest, crappiest fixture you can buy, it is a Chinese import. There is no warranty listed because there is no real warranty. If the light dies in a month you get to buy it all over again. The bulbs in it are not very good, the reflectors in it are not very good and the ballast that powers everything is not very good and the wiring inside is not up to standards. It will work, right up to the moment it doesn't, the problem is you never know how long that will be, could be a few years, could be a few weeks.

A well built and safe fixture does not cost 145 bucks and those cheap ones are always a gamble. Look for a Geismann, AquaMedic or Hamilton brand fixture.

How about a coralife? I've used them before and liked them. Is 3.5 Watts per gallon good enough, or do I need 5-6 wpg?

Coralife is a little better, forget wpg, it doesn't apply. It is ok to buy used if the fixture is a quality one, it will serve you well. The three brands I listed have been the most durable and safe over the years, and they have an actual warranty should something happen. The good news is with all of the people going to LED you can pick up a quality fixture for cheap these days. There is no reason to buy a cheaply made fixture. Don't skimp on lighting, it is one of the main parts of a successful reef. You need a total of 50 meaningful posts to see the for sale section, so you are halfway there. :)

I'm trying to buy it from amazon since I have a credit card with them. Lighting is confusing thats for sure!

it looks like an odyssea brand, the cheapest, crappiest fixture you can buy, it is a chinese import. There is no warranty listed because there is no real warranty. If the light dies in a month you get to buy it all over again. The bulbs in it are not very good, the reflectors in it are not very good and the ballast that powers everything is not very good and the wiring inside is not up to standards. It will work, right up to the moment it doesn't, the problem is you never know how long that will be, could be a few years, could be a few weeks.

A well built and safe fixture does not cost 145 bucks and those cheap ones are always a gamble. Look for a geismann, aquamedic or hamilton brand fixture.

+1

Metal halide

Metal halide

I have used them, they worked but got really hot! I would just spend more and get better quality.

Check the for sale section here, or Craigslist. I just picked up a 2X250 PFO complete with bulbs for $120. Be paitent and keep your eyes and your mind open, this hobby isnt cheep but that doesnt mean it has to be that darn expensive.

Back