2x Koralia 425 good enough for a 40g?

spseminara

In Memoriam
I have two Koralia 425 powerheads in my 40 gallon tank (push 425 g/h). One on each side. I placed them on either side of my tank and just recently added a JBJ Wavemaker.

Now that only one pump at a time is on I feel like there isn't enough flow.

Should I replace them with 750's since they won't be on at the same time? Is 750 an overkill?

PS I also pushing 420 out of dual returns from my sump

depends on the coral and fish you want...In my 55 Im running: 280GPH from refegium, 260 GPH from venturi powerhead (powering my CPR overflow) 750GPH Korilia powerhead and Korilia style poweread pumping 1200 GPH....I run a highflow tank at running about total volume 43 times per hour...I can 100% assure you I have NO dead spots in my tank and to be honest i think the recent addition of my 1200GPH Powerhead made a HUGH difference, Im getting much better filtration from my LR and LS and all the excess gets sucked into my overflow because it cant hit the subtrate....there is just too much flow. I have the powerheads angled so that i have one small low flow part for certain corals. then again there are people that will argue with me...

Attachments

• reef.jpg
    reef.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
I have two Koralia 425 powerheads in my 40 gallon tank (push 425 g/h). One on each side. I placed them on either side of my tank and just recently added a JBJ Wavemaker.

Now that only one pump at a time is on I feel like there isn't enough flow.

Should I replace them with 750's since they won't be on at the same time? Is 750 an overkill?

PS I also pushing 420 out of dual returns from my sump

My neighbor runs a wave maker and swears by it....its too many plugs and timers for me...

I use 2 750's. it's perfect. Keep one of the 425's in the far back bottom and point it towards the other side to get the dead spots behind the rocks. That's exactly how I have my tank set up. I tried the 2 425's but even 2 of them isn't enough.

It depends on what you want to keep coral wise. If your olny running a few easy softies that is good, if you want sps you need about 2 k4 pump pushing 1400 each hooked up to a controller. The flow i have in my tank is 60x not counting my return pump which most people dont.

On my 40 breeder I have 2 Vortech MP10s in slave and master mode (maximum setting but in long pulse mode on each opposite end of the tank) and 2 Koralia 425's in the rear behind the rocks to prevent stagnant water in the back. This is not counting my Maxijet 1200 which pumps to a chiller and my return pump from my 20 long sump which is a Mag5.

I think reefers greatly underestimate the amount of flow in the natural reef. I have heard this whenever I read an article about it.

I would replace them with the 750s or more. maybe also have them on a cycle where they are both running at the same time for awhile if possible. My 40 gallon has a turnover rate of 50x.

I initially bought the 1400's for my tank and it was waaaay to much flow, they might be ok on a wavemaker but they were serious overkill for my 40br. I traded them down for the 750's and it's just right. I think the 1050's might even be a little too much.

Back