2xMP40 good for a 55 long penninsula?

Guillaume

Another reef dependant
Hi all,

Do you think 2 MP40wes would be good, each on the same end of the tank, for a building 155g tank wich will be 55 long (60 less overflow) X 27 X 22. I own 1 on my 65G and would buy a second.
There will be two islands of rock in the tank.

I would like to be able to make a wave with these two pumps, provide good flow for SPS on top of the islands but need lower flow for some LPS (bubble and hammerhead) at the bottom opposite end of the tank.

See a drawing here. There is still space to change pumps locations within the dry pits.
plan155gv2.jpg

And my current 65g setup with some waves :)

Hiver_2012_261.jpg

Hiver_2012_271.jpg

IMO i think its a bad idea because your other end will be just full of crap. with an mp40 on each end the sand bed won't have much crap on it compared if its all on one side.

i would think you will get more of a wave if they are on both sides, just need to place it a little higher until you get that wave?

Thanks Pentrix2 for your comment. The other end may have less flow, enought to gatter full of crap, this is the question. I plan on doing a open bottom/aerial rockwork for this end to facilitate flow.

I have two mp60 on a 96" peninsula and i have my apex alternate sync and antisync throughout the day on pulse, lagoon, ntm and reef crest modes. No garbage builds up by keeping the flow random.

Not at all as beautiful as your tank. I am taking it slow with adding anything right now. I am in the design phase of a DIY light fixture. I want to get that in place and get the hair algae under control before moving on.

Sorry the pic is grainy, it was taken with my iPhone while my 3 week old was crying for mom to take her to feed her :hmm3:

Here is the left MP60w:

1330998683_03052012-2.jpg

Not at all as beautiful as your tank. I am taking it slow with adding anything right now. I am in the design phase of a DIY light fixture. I want to get that in place and get the hair algae under control before moving on.

Sorry the pic is grainy, it was taken with my iPhone while my 3 week old was crying for mom to take her to feed her :hmm3:

Here is the left MP60w:

1330998683_03052012-2.jpg

Nice, must be a large tank, the MP60 look like a mp40... ;)
You are brave to start a DIY light fixture... and a kid ! Good luck with both! I know a bit of the latest only :)

Your 65g is beautiful, and your next tank is going to be even better I bet!

I think you'd be FINE with 2 MPw ES's.

Why? This guy has 8 MP40s on a 120" long tank and they work fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh6Cz_H8Uhg

IMO: Worst case scenario --> if 2 aren't enough; you add 2 more MP40s to make it 4 total (still the same price as 4 MP60s).

Nice, must be a large tank, the MP60 look like a mp40... ;)
You are brave to start a DIY light fixture... and a kid ! Good luck with both! I know a bit of the latest only :)

Thanks, I'm taking it real slow. Like I've been wanting to do this led future for about a year.

Tank demonsions are in my sig below

Well, not sure I'm happy but the tank builder made a 1 inch thick panel between the display and the drain and dry pits sections. Now my MP40 won't work there (max 3/4). They offer me to swap my 2 MP40s to two MP60s.
Hoping it wont be overkill!!! I have Bubble lps that like low flow and min flow of MP60 (3500gph) is over the max of the mp40 (3200gph) ...

Back