3 gallon set up, born 10/10/2013

Wingity

picture.php

]So, I am setting up a 3 gallon cube.

I upgraded the filter to a 10 gallon filter. It's a Aqueon hang on back type.

for now I am using a clip on LED tetra light, but my gf ordered a clip on LED reef light for me. Should be here next week.

put about 2 cm of sand in the bottom.

used the water from the refrigerator filter dispenser, mixed it with Tetra marine Salt, and added to tank.

Added a 50 watt submersible heater

added an overpriced petco "live" rock

waited a week

went to a good lfs and bought some well seasoned live rocks. On the live rock there are 4 blue mushrooms, coralline algae, and a spaghetti/hairy worm. (thanks for the help identifying these)

added a pin-head of Coral Frenzy

current readings:
temp: 76.5 F
salinity: 1.025
Ca: 460
PO: .25
N0: 30
KH: 10

I would like to have corals and invertebrates in this tank.

So, my questions:

Will my mushrooms die while the tank cycles? Should I take them out? Do a water change?

Is the flow too high from the filter for the mushrooms? Will reef lights be too strong for mushrooms, in such a shallow tank?

What other tests do I need?

What other types of coral could I add?

the GF wants to add brine shrimp to bring the phosphate in line. Is that a good idea?

I had a 50gallon FOWLR tank a decade ago, and a few freshwater tanks, that's it.

I have a 5.5 set up with zoos and a mantis plan on more corals.
I am using a led clip on called Solarflare 115.
I am not to good with mushrooms the only one I have ever kept were 3 purple rics I got when I set up my tank several months ago.
I am not sure about the phosphate and brine shrimp? Why not set up a 30g filter and throw chaeto in it?

I don't have space, or I would love to set up some something like that.

I'm thinking about zoos also.

So you never given your tank a chance to cycle yet?

Tap water is a big no-no for saltwater (depending on the source) because there are harmful metals. Always invest in an RO/DI unit or in your case buy distilled water.

The HOB filter looks to big for the tank your size. Why not invest in a skimmer for nano/pico tanks? They do a far better job keeping your tank clean. A coupel examples:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+25228&pcatid=25228

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+24911&pcatid=24911

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21416

I regret buying rocks with quality life on them so early. I don't want to loose the mushrooms, or the other life that climbed out of them, so I am planning on doing large water changes daily to soften the cycle. I think it will be manageable in such a small tank, although I am under the impression it will take months.

What are the draw backs of having too large a filter?

Looking at your links now... I didn't realize they came so small :)

Mushrooms are hardy so they have a good chance of surviving the cycle. To test for the cycle you should have an ammonia test kit and a nitrite test kit. Brine shrimp will not help your phosphate levels. I would strongly recommend you use either RO/DI water or distilled water for your salt mix. The refrigerator filter will not remove many of the problematic pollutants (like phosphate). With such a small tank, even a small amount of contaminates can quickly lead to a disaster. I would limit the corals to soft corals and LPS corals. SPS corals, clams and anemones are too difficult to keep in a small tank.

Just did a partial water change with distilled water, being careful to maintain the temp and salinity. Nitrites were through the roof, so I replaced 1/2 gallon. How much water should I replace at a time during the cycle?

It looks like it's going to be a long time before I can add any more life.

Could you please expand on this? I'm not sure I follow.

the GF wants to add brine shrimp to bring the phosphate in line. Is that a good idea?

And I don't think you need a smaller filter. It won't work any better, and it will reduce the water movement in the tank. Besides, you can't have "too much" mechanical filtration.

Your cycle should take about a month, although a few weeks on either side of that isn't uncommon.

She read that brine shrimp help control phosphate levels. But I can't find anything to support that claim. She was reading around for some form of life that could survive in such a small tank. She went ahead and ordered some eggs, as she is enjoying watching the life in the tank. I figure if nothing else they might make good food for a larger creature if we decide to put anything in there after the cycle completes. Not sure if I really want to subject anything much bigger to that small of a tank.

Last edited:
can I cover the filter intake with a pantyhose foot, or would that prevent the filter from working effectively? I've seen people do it...

That filter looks well... kinda clunky for a 3 gallon tank.

Again, I'd invest in a nano skimmer for they do a better job keeping your tank clean.

one cool thing about pico reefs is there is enough work on them online by now that its not as much of a guessing game like it used to be a decade ago. it comes down to two methods, methods that come from the longest lived/documented 3 gallon tank in history or any other method :)

so, if you ever want a baseline to compare to, the longest lived 3 gallon pico tank (other than just claiming hey mine is 18 years old) has details, pics, and vid. you can search under El Fab's 3 gallon SPS tank to get the details. thats not the longest lived pico reef, just the longest lived 3 gallon so it is a nice backbone for your setup if you ever wonder what definately works.

That filter looks well... kinda clunky for a 3 gallon tank.

Again, I'd invest in a nano skimmer for they do a better job keeping your tank clean.

A skimmer won't remove detritus, and detritus is usually the biggest problem in small tanks. I siphon it out of mine daily because I don't utilize mechanical filtration.

I'm interested in hearing more about your tank, gbru316

edit- looked up your thread about it, beautiful!

Last edited:
Back