3 inputs controlling 1 output

Allmost

Hello,

would it be possible, to have 3 inputs control 1 output ?

plan : 3 float switches, if any on them on, turn output off.

I need to do this for my return pump.

Also need the same configuration for the skimmer pump.

if possible to program it, what exactly will I need to buy ?

have an unused apex lite already.

You would need to build or buy a break out box, a connectiing cable and of course the float switches.

Just use something like this as your last three lines of code for what ever outlet you want.

If switch 1 = on then off
If switch 2 = on then off
If switch 3 = on then off

That should do what you want.

No thats not exactly true. But in your circumstance yes if any of those switches are true then the outlet will shut off. With Apex the last true code wins. For example

If switch 1 = on then on
If switch 2 = on then off

Now that would mean that if switch 1 is on the outlet would be on, but if switch 2 comes on and switch 1 is also on then then the last true line code of switch 2 would be excuted and the outlet would be off.

Hope that helps...

The other thing you can do is wire the floats/switches in series - that way they appear as a single switch but if any one opens then it shows as open. This is a common way of installing multiple magnetic window switches on stand doors - open any door and the light goes on but you only use a single switch input even though you might have 4 physical switches.

not sure if thats how it would work ... are u sure ?

I can simply make some logic gates and do this myself ... but thought why not make some use of this apex I have had for a while lol

I simply need to program the following logic:

Switch1 AND Switch2 AND switch3 = !(outlet1)

meaning when switches are all off, outlet is on. if ANY switch is on, outlet will turn off.

The other thing you can do is wire the floats/switches in series - that way they appear as a single switch but if any one opens then it shows as open. This is a common way of installing multiple magnetic window switches on stand doors - open any door and the light goes on but you only use a single switch input even though you might have 4 physical switches.

true. but then wont need the Apex :)

a simple transistor switch would do that much more efficiently :)

Actually as a fail safe when dealing with floats it would be better to turn the logic around and use something like this

If switch 1 = off then off

so on and so forth

not sure if thats how it would work ... are u sure ?

If you're asking about wiring them in series, yes absolutely. Do it all the time.

The controller is just looking at continuity through the switch. It puts millivolts out and expects to get millivolts back. Break that circuit and it reports the switch/float as OPEN. So you can put many floats/switches in series and if any of them open, the circuit is broken and the controller reports it as such.

If you're asking about wiring them in series, yes absolutely. Do it all the time.

The controller is just looking at continuity through the switch. It puts millivolts out and expects to get millivolts back. Break that circuit and it reports the switch/float as OPEN. So you can put many floats/switches in series and if any of them open, the circuit is broken and the controller reports it as such.

that was for mark. I replied to you by quoting.

PS. the impedance of 3 switches on series changes the returning voltage ! could or could not have an effect depending on the threshold set by apex.

thanks

ahhh okay, was wondering if its Apex reps just guessing about their equipment or regular posters :)

thanks for all the guesses guys....

What aquamanic is trying to state is that if you conect all three floats in series, the apex would only need one of the three floats to send or not send a signal back ( what ever your logic is) and translate it into a fuction on a particular outlet, ie. turning on/off something, that beign said, you can control your skimmer pump and return pump no problem

Sana

yea ... problem is I know too much about electronics ... doing my Thesis for PhD on biomed ...

I know you guys are trying to help, but this is not about reefing for everyone to have their own opinions.... electronics is science, based on facts.

line impedance, is the principle that float switches work with. placing 3 in series, changes the total impedance of the line. voltage drop, is proportional to the total impedance ... this may or may not cause the threshold of Apex to be tricked.

anyways, thank you for all the guesses, and Ideas ... it would be better to say I dont know about stuff one is not sure about though ...

You can do the 3 separate float switches into a breakout box, and all of them can command a single outlet off, independently, and can control other outlets as well just by adding the correct statements to the other outlets coding.

Outlet Setup-->
Advanced Setup-->

Outlet Name: ATO (or whatever your controlling)
Control Type: Advanced
Icon: Spigot

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF
Defer 000:50 Then OFF
If Switch2 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch3 OPEN Then OFF

The defer statement rechecks the switch status after 50 seconds to confirm whether it's truly open, or closed.

The Defer statement applies to the outlet as a whole so you can just leave the last Defer in there and remove the first 2. The way you have it doesn't hurt anything but if those Defer statements had different durations, you might wonder why only the last one was working:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch2 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch3 OPEN Then OFF

Last edited:
Back